Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Brand new and need guidance

Hi Chris & welcome to the forum.

To get the best advice, could you tell us what you would like to achieve? Do you want to do visual observations of the Moon and planets, visual of deep sky objects or are you looking to do any astrophotography?

Do you plan to use the setup mainly at home or will you be looking to have something that's easy to transport?

The more you can tell us the better the advice. ;)

• Thanks 1

On 06/01/2022 at 00:17, biggsthebeast said:

@Budgie1 just visual, I would basically like to set it up in my bedroom and just look out or even take it to a mountain local to me 

Have you got an outdoor area to observe from? Looking out of a window will degrade the views through the telescope and restrict the area of sky you can see. 

When you go to the mountain how will you get it there and how far will you need to carry it once you get there? 

Something from the Skywatcher AZ Pronto range is probably going to be the most suited for your scenario and budget. 

• Like 1

On 06/01/2022 at 00:17, biggsthebeast said:

@Budgie1 just visual, I would basically like to set it up in my bedroom and just look out or even take it to a mountain local to me 

You could start simple by getting a pair of binoculars. Read this http://binocularsky.com/. 

Steve Tonkin, @BinocularSky the author is here in this forum so he might be able to assist you better.

Edited by AstroMuni

Always a difficult question to answer, so I am going to echo Astromuni and suggest binoculars is a great starting point. First time I saw the milky way was in Mid Wales, didn't get the telescope out of the car, so plenty to see on a clear night not too far from your front door, so finding what to look for is a good starting point and will give you time to think about what you would like to see and how to see it.

I use Stellarium on the laptop and phone but there are other pieces of software and app's out there, that will give you a good starter for what's in the sky wherever you are.  If you have location sensors in your phone, the app will allow you to point your phone at a star and it will help you work out what you are looking at. Another thing I use is a planisphere. This again will help you find you way around. There are a couple of magazines like sky at night or Astronomy Now which give monthly guides at to whats in the sky. After that, warm hat and gloves, comfy chair, red head torch and a set of binoculars. Have a good look around in here, this is a massive site with plenty to read and ask away with any questions. Enjoy.

On 07/01/2022 at 14:39, AstroMuni said:

You could start simple by getting a pair of binoculars. Read this http://binocularsky.com/. 

Steve Tonkin, @BinocularSky the author is here in this forum so he might be able to assist you better.

Yes, happy to answer any questions re binos, @biggsthebeast - just tag me to make sure I see it!

• Like 1