Narrowband

Which calibration frames are filter and focus specific?

Possibly a daft question however I am trying to ascertain whether it is possible to build up some of my calibration frames without the camera being attached to the scope or even the filter wheel - simply in a quest to maximise camera time for actually capturing photons.

So, I know flats should ideally be taken every session and for each filter used and ditto dark flats at the same focal point and rotation as the light frames.

However, do full dark frames and bias frames need to be taken per filter and if not does the camera even need to be attached to the scope?

Flat darks also don't depend on filter and focus position - they are the same as regular darks - they only need to match flats in gain/offset/temp/exposure length.

Filter and focus position is only important for those calibration files that measure light throughput and that is flats. All other calibration files measure something else - darks (regular and flat) measure dark current during exposure and do that without presence of any light (need covered scope or ideally camera off scope) and bias measures offset characteristics of camera - again no light is present.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Flat darks also don't depend on filter and focus position - they are the same as regular darks - they only need to match flats in gain/offset/temp/exposure length.

Filter and focus position is only important for those calibration files that measure light throughput and that is flats. All other calibration files measure something else - darks (regular and flat) measure dark current during exposure and do that without presence of any light (need covered scope or ideally camera off scope) and bias measures offset characteristics of camera - again no light is present.

Perfect - thank you @vlaiv.  I thought that was the case but wanted to be sure.  Given it looks a nice clear day and I am hoping to get some nice darks in the bank whilst I wait for evening.  Gives me opportunity to test my new mini PC, NINA and the camera are all talking to each other properly :)