SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Silly question about dobsonian telescopes

3 minutes ago, Orange Smartie said:

Not a silly question.

Dobsonian refers to a particular type of simple mount. These will be free standing or for use on a table top. Many people observe from an adjustable chair.

Thanks for the reply!

Do people buy these sort of telescopes just for their back garden then? As there aren’t any tables in the park that I use! Lol

It depends on the scope. A smaller one (usually 150mm or less in aperture) is likely to be on a 'tabletop' mount, so you'd need a small, maybe folding table. Larger scopes can be placed on the ground.

20 minutes ago, Dakuwaqa said:

Thanks for the reply!

Do people buy these sort of telescopes just for their back garden then? As there aren’t any tables in the park that I use! Lol

A folding table, as Cajen2 suggests would be ok.  I have a Heritage 150p table-top Dob that I took to my Mum's over christmas, and we had it on a kitchen stool in the garden, so the stand doesn't have to be particularly bulky.

I also have a 10" Dobsonian, which is quite a beast - really not something I'd carry around (although people do drive them to dark sites). On its own it's not really tall enough, so I have that on a water butt stand in the garden when I use it.

There is a neat graphic that is often shown on a thread like this that might be helpful - I've fished around and this link below which should show the picture if you click it - it shows how Dobsonian telescopes go from table top to needing a step ladder - most folks start with a 8" Skywatcher 200P which will conveniently sit on the ground though you might find an adjustable stool useful: 

Edited by JOC

I've got the collapsible Heritage Dob 150P and my most comfortable sessions have been on my lawn with the "tabletop" mount directly on the floor and my backside on a yoga mat. I'm considering a waterproof beanbag and going full hippie. 

It's been too wet for putting the scope on the floor recently though, so I've been using my garden coffee table. It just means some awkward leans for some targets. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2022 at 15:18, Dakuwaqa said:

What do you do with these when like myself you view outside in a park.

A small one would be so low on the ground to view and I’m old and stiff. 

Is an expensive tripod required?

Thanks!

Old and stiff, forget about dobs. I had an 8” and sold it. It was to awkward and heavy to move around and added to my back pain. I sold it and bought a Sky Watcher 100ED. Much easier to deal with. I then added a BT-100ED binocular-telescope. If you have the budget, that’s the way to go. I use my BT five times more than my SW. I’ll probably eventually sell the SW. 

52 minutes ago, Doasqa said:

Old and stiff, forget about dobs. I had an 8” and sold it. It was to awkward and heavy to move around and added to my back pain. I sold it and bought a Sky Watcher 100ED. Much easier to deal with. I then added a BT-100ED binocular-telescope. If you have the budget, that’s the way to go. I use my BT five times more than my SW. I’ll probably eventually sell the SW. 

What mount do you use with your SW 100ED and BT-100ED BT, and do you move them around together?

• Thanks 1

Dobs needn't be heavy, awkward or difficult to use. Here's my Heritage Flextube 150p on a three-legged stool (much more stable than four legs). You can then lounge in any kind of chair: I use an adjustable-height bar stool.

IMG_20220117_143222.thumb.jpg.513833bef13b06da588dc1a24631213c.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Louis D said:

What mount do you use with your SW 100ED and BT-100ED BT, and do you move them around together?

For the SkyWatcher, I bought the AZ5. It’s OK with my and Celestron 8–24 eyepiece and definitely my 40 mm Penntex. But when I get into the higher magnification  8 mm in below there’s too much vibration. It becomes hard to focus especially with the 5 mm eyepiece because the object moves out of view by the time you make your adjustment and the shaking stops.  So if you’re not using high magnification it’s a good mount, it’s about $350. I have considered the SkyTee2 and the DSV3 but  I’m not using the telescope so much anymore so I’m probably not gonna do that. I’ve lost interest in high magnification so it’s a moot point for me these days. High Magnification is only good for planets and maybe the moon to see the craters. But everything else looks better at 8 mm and up on my telescope. My favorite is the Pentax 40mm for general sky surfing. It’s TFOV is 3.5°

For my BT – 100s from Oberwerk, I chose the wood Oberwerk TR3. This particular tripod comes with the mount, there are more expensive mounts but I’m happy I didn’t spend the money. This one works great with the BT. My only complaint is the elevator shaft is manual. And with a heavy binoculars sitting on top it’s a bit of a stretch to raise and lower it. The one they make with the crank style elevator is metal but I love the word so I’m gonna deal with it. Once again when you use high magnification there is some vibration when focusing. It’s not as bad as the AZ5 and it’s only a problem during focusing. Hearing others post on the forum I think the vibration issue is common across all brands in all models at high magnification.

• 4 weeks later...

These are great tips. I'm also new to the world of Dobs and both nights I've been out with mine I've found a waterproof pillow and a garden chair useful. I tend to prefer to stand, so it's hard to get used to observing from a sitting position!

I've gone down the IKEA route for my 8" dob, buying a relatively cheap, sturdy and mobile 'Tingby' table to which I've added a home made setting circle top. I'm happy with the result and find it generally comfortable to have my eyepiece at standing eye level  near there zenith or sitting height when more horizontal.

IMG_0905.jpg

tingby-side-table-on-castors-grey__0479620_pe618495_s5.webp

• Like 2