Narrowband

Which eyepiece carry bag or case?

Hello all and happy new year!

I know this topic has been discussed and I have trawled through them but still have a few questions:

As I have a grab and go setup, I'm wondering if this type of waist bag (pictured below) might be useful to save bending down to access a bag/case in the dark on the floor? Also, keep both my hands free for carrying all the other items.

Does anyone have any experience of using one like this that attaches around the waist? the one below is £11.99 new on that most famous auction site. The larger holes at the front have inserts to make them smaller so it can accommodate up to seven EP's.

The one for £29 on FLO does look like good quality but I'm on a tight budget and it doesn't seem to have a strap although, I'm not sure this is necessarily a feature I will need, if not, is it better to get a case!? 

Some feedback and advice from those with experience would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Tony

P.S happy to post the link for the bag pictured, just not sure if its allowed? 

bag.jpg.e8ccba9a4cf47fff882e13b7efd1bf6b.jpg

• Like 1

Oh nice! this would not be how I store eyepieces but as a way of holding them while observing it sure seems handy. My only concern would be bending over and an eyepiece falling out, constantly unzipping and zipping would be a pain, I would make a small modification to it so it could be shut quickly with Velcro. Please include the link as I just may get one.

20 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Oh nice! this would not be how I store eyepieces but as a way of holding them while observing it sure seems handy. My only concern would be bending over and an eyepiece falling out, constantly unzipping and zipping would be a pain, I would make a small modification to it so it could be shut quickly with Velcro. Please include the link as I just may get one.

Good shout about modifying!

Here it is:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescope-Eyepiece-Waist-Bag-Carrier-Case-for-Celestron-1-25-2-Omni-TMB-/384500329830?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

2 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

My only concern would be the quality at that price, seems too cheap to be good……but I hope I’m wrong 

You do bring up a good point, and I pretty much stopped using ancient Ebay years ago after a string of horrible quality item purchases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

You do bring up a good point, and I pretty much stopped using ancient Ebay years ago after a string of horrible quality item purchases.

Likewise, I haven’t been near eBay for years, I’d rather pay more for piece of mind

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Like 1

ebay is my goto for hard to find used and new repair parts and new old stock vintage items available from within the US.  I rarely buy new items from there, especially from China.  Returns are impossible and refunds are a pain as a result.  Counterfeits are abundant as well.

The FLO one does look good!  Dont know how I missed that.

As a possible cheaper alternative, I opted for this company based in UK. It is a hard-case but a good price considering sizes and considering.

delivery is about £3 on top but unfortunately the order was delayed by their courier DPD so my order hasn't arrived yet and I cannot comment on quality yet 😏 but they accept paypal so I'm not worried about returns or losing money

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/roc-cases-flight-case-with-foam-block-silver-l310xw240xh130mm?gclid=CjwKCAiAzrWOBhBjEiwAq85QZ6Vy5FMK3wxsgEP6VZ8jBfcJ2tJRfjxbdF15Fnd7Fm9pbm9oioaxtBoCtr4QAvD_BwE

Phil (TBG)

• Thanks 1

On this side of the pond i hit Harbor Freight.  I have 2 Apache 4800 hard cases with pluck and pull foam for my eyepieces.  These are made in China but they are very well made and as good of quality as Pelican cases but at half the price.

2 hours ago, That Bear Guy said:

The FLO one does look good!  Dont know how I missed that.

As a possible cheaper alternative, I opted for this company based in UK. It is a hard-case but a good price considering sizes and considering.

delivery is about £3 on top but unfortunately the order was delayed by their courier DPD so my order hasn't arrived yet and I cannot comment on quality yet 😏 but they accept paypal so I'm not worried about returns or losing money

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/roc-cases-flight-case-with-foam-block-silver-l310xw240xh130mm?gclid=CjwKCAiAzrWOBhBjEiwAq85QZ6Vy5FMK3wxsgEP6VZ8jBfcJ2tJRfjxbdF15Fnd7Fm9pbm9oioaxtBoCtr4QAvD_BwE

Phil (TBG)

I bought a case from them on advice and it lasted for 2 months, both lid hinges fractured at the same time scattering my eyepieces and filters in all directions but thankfully onto the carpet.

The rest of the case seemed good enough but on examination the hinges were incredibly flimsy.

I then bought a hard Peli type case on Ebay for about £50 and it seems infinitely better built, all fingers crossed!

On my phone at the moment but I'll try and link to it later.

Max MAX300S Waterproof Laptop Travel Briefcase Hard Case Box With Foam Black | eBay

Edited by LaurenceT
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

I bought a case from them on advice and it lasted for 2 months, both lid hinges fractured at the same time scattering my eyepieces and filters in all directions but thankfully onto the carpet.

The rest of the case seemed good enough but on examination the hinges were incredibly flimsy.

I then bought a hard Peli type case on Ebay for about £50 and it seems infinitely better built, all fingers crossed!

On my phone at the moment but I'll try and link to it later.

Max MAX300S Waterproof Laptop Travel Briefcase Hard Case Box With Foam Black | eBay

😬 Thanks - I may cancel mine or if I can’t keep a close eye on the hinges 

For grab n no and for travel I use these cases for 1.25-inch eyepieces 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carrying-Customizable-Interior-compatible-Session-Blue/dp/B00KBKHYKS/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2EB7Q8URZKPQL&keywords=Camkix%2Bcase&qid=1641755311&s=electronics&sprefix=camkix%2Bcase%2Celectronics%2C59&sr=1-5&th=1

i have 4 of them for different eyepiece sets

I see the same case is available from other suppliers on Amazon at much lower prices 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and advise!

Thought I'd give you an update; I decided to go for the EP waistbag I found on EBay for £11.99 Inc delivery(link in original post)

After using it 4 times I feel ready to give it a fair review and, I have to say: it's excellent!

Now, I am just starting out in this hobby so, I haven't invested massively in my kit as yet! I understand many people have spent huge amounts on their eyepieces and other accessories therefore; feel the need and can justify investing a fair bit to ensure quality protection for it.

As you can see form the pictures, I have two EP's (not including the stock ones) and a Shorty Barlow that I am using regularly so, don't need a big 'clunky' aluminium or large plastic case to drag around also, I need my hands free to carry my Dob with stand and seat into the garden and beyond. This waist belt bag (I think they're amusingly called '[removed word] packs' across the pond) is excellent for this and, so far, has been a brilliant addition to my 'grab and go' set-up. Keeping it on whilst observing and keeping the kit in the same holes has saved me time and improved my viewing experience also, keeps the kit a bit warmer in the cold. Using the zip hasn't proved too much of a chore and everything's secure and dust free.

The zips are more robust than expected, teeth seem well made and big enough to reassure me that they won't split. The plastic clip which secures it around the waist is more than strong enough and all stitching is adequate.

As you can see, there is two layers of the foam inserts that each have seven aperture's that have their own inserts (three at the front are larger) and can be further cut out to as needed. I haven't got around to doing this yet.

Small pockets on the sides don't seem big enough to be of use for anything but the large on on the front looks like it would be useful for filters when I get some.

So despite being bought on Ebay, made in China and the seller not yet having huge ratings or feedback; It IS a quality item and is serving me very well.

I think it's a little unfair and surprising that people still think stuff made in China is poor quality, they have been producing excellent products for many years which are great value. I will never shop at Amazon on principal but we'll leave that discussion for another time and place! interesting article HERE .

I know this can be an expensive hobby but I feel that, with a bit of research, frugality and improvisation it can be accessible and inclusive hobby to those on a budget.

Best,

T

EPbag1.jpg

EPbag2.jpg

EPbag3.jpg

EPbag4.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xgaze said:

I think it's a little unfair and surprising that people still think stuff made in China is poor quality, they have been producing excellent products for many years which are great value.

Based on reviews from that company you despise, watch out for the zipper breaking.  China's use of pot metal instead of steel is pervasive and troublesome.  One of the screws in my GSO coma corrector sheared off in my fingertips.  I can't get the part stuck in the hole out, so I replaced the other screw with a cap head steel screw and now make do tightening only one screw.  Also, every alignment screw on my 2000-era ST80's 6x30 finder's two rings sheared off the same way making it useless.  A well known Chinese alt-az mount also uses molded pot metal instead of machined steel, leading to the possibility of an entire side simply shearing off under load.  It is cost cutting measure such as these that have led to the poor reputation of Chinese made goods, not some shadowy conspiracy trying to besmirch their good name.