Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

rosette nebula

alacant

Hi everyone

Can't find the ngc for this one. Our resident sky geek tells me the cluster is 2244 so that's what I used for the EKOS scheduler. 

The UHC cuts a hell of a lot of light and at 5 minutes, there was still only a hint of the nebula. We had to go to 8 minute frames to convince onlookers, although I've the feeling that -more of- 4 or 5 minute frames would have done just as well. 

Thanks for looking and do post if you've had a go at the rosette with a dslr + uhc.

700d on 72mm f6 siril 1.0.0 rc3 + ST 1.8.522

153266433_1-2244(1)_01.thumb.jpg.53bab9429dff829ad32b0b395b873eab.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 25

Just watched a bit of Cuiv and saw his video on the filter lottery. Manufacturers do not appear to have good quality control when it comes to the bandpass, sometimes it can be incorrectly offset and you're not getting the correct bandpass. There doesn't appear to be an easy way of finding out either, unless you do what Cuiv did and sent the filter to a lab for testing.

I don't know if this is the case for you but I certainly wish I had known that before I bought my new narrowband filters.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2022 at 15:35, Shimonu said:

if this is the case for you

We try to make pretty pictures, that's all. I don't know the source you mention, but certainly for us, spending €silly on a filter for an effect which can be had for 1/10 of the outlay isn't justifiable. Even less so if the quality is questionable.

As one of our visitors -armed with a €200+ piece of glass- put it, 'I think I've been taken for a bit of a ride!' as I revealed our humble €30 UHC. I suppose there's the marketing hype to pay for too.

Dunno. Perhaps if you're stuck in a city and it's the only way, then maybe. But have a go with the sensibly priced stuff before you dive in, surely.

Cheers 

Edited by alacant

I was out imaging the rosette last night (albeit with an ASI533, not my DSLR). The subs look fine (30x180seconds) but I've not had the time to process them yet. I'll be very happy if I can get as good a result as yours.

Graeme

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stu Wilson said:

going to put the photon on the same subject

With your reflector, you'll be able to cut the frames by at least 1/3. 2 to 3 minutes should be fine compared to our miserably slow refractor.

Do post the result.

On 03/01/2022 at 14:07, alacant said:

Can't find the ngc for this one. Our resident sky geek tells me the cluster is 2244 so that's what I used for the EKOS scheduler. 

You can also search for Rosette nebula and it takes you to same location. Lovely image btw.

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stu Wilson said:

ive given up.....

Never give up!

ss_1.thumb.png.f1a53f37db6e6e4c823bd90f3e08c9c2.pngI had a go, but a few things make it difficult.

• I was expecting around 3000 x 2000 pixels but got only 1664 x 1015
  • The tifs from dss are deflated. I'd recommend working with the .fits file instead. Even better, try Siril which gives you the data, the whole data and nothing but the data.
  • The flat frames don't seem to have worked very well. I tried a synthetic flat but it would be a lot easier with the real thing.
  • I don't know what type of filter you used, but I'm hopeless with colour anyway... This is with the channels loaded HOO.

All these bits and pieces are easy to correct.

Otherwise as expected, the reflector has produced some wonderful detail. Well done.

Cheers, happy new year and HTH.

Auto-s_01.thumb.jpg.3241e14d8d70480889742ef38b9f1a6e.jpg

Edited by alacant
gramática
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Stu Wilson said:

Not gone as well as planned but heres about 90 mins of data, very badly processed as im tired out lol

For 90 minutes I would say that is really good, I'd be very happy with that for only 90 minutes.. I took the advice of @alacant himself and try to always do 4 hours minimum, aslong as british weather cooperates. Sometimes you get a couple hours one night, then you get too eager waiting weeks for the next clear night and go ahead and process less than the optimal 4 hours anyway.

12 minutes ago, alacant said:

The tifs from dss are deflated. I'd recommend working with the .fits file instead. Even better, try Siril which gives you the data, the whole data and nothing but the data.

@alacant How do you stack in Siril from different nights, Do I even need to put them in different files if every night is the same settings, similar temperature etc? Getting unusually clear skies here in the UK so I'm managing multiple nights on m45 😃

19 minutes ago, Grant93 said:

How do you stack in Siril from different nights,

Create an empty folder and set the working directory to it.

Load all your light frames using the Conversion tab. Click the '+' to add from different sessions successively. 

**EDIT**  FORGOT: set a name in Sequence name **EDIT**

Hit the Convert button.

Proceed as if you had a single sequence.

That's it. 

HTH and good luck with your m45. Do post your result.

Edited by alacant
faltaba un paso
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, alacant said:

Create an empty folder and set the working directory to it.

Load all your light frames using the Conversion tab. Click the '+' to add from different sessions successively. 

Hit the Convert button.

Proceed as if you had a single sequence.

That's it. 

HTH and good luck with your m45. Do post your result.

Brilliant thank you :) Will post the result, might be a week or so yet, might be clear again tonight and tomorrow according to predictions. And also like to do multiple stacks and processes to try and make sure I'm getting the best result :D

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Never give up!

ss_1.thumb.png.f1a53f37db6e6e4c823bd90f3e08c9c2.pngI had a go, but a few things make it difficult.

• I was expecting around 3000 x 2000 pixels but got only 1664 x 1015
  • The tifs from dss are deflated. I'd recommend working with the .fits file instead. Even better, try Siril which gives you the data, the whole data and nothing but the data.
  • The flat frames don't seem to have worked very well. I tried a synthetic flat but it would be a lot easier with the real thing.
  • I don't know what type of filter you used, but I'm hopeless with colour anyway... This is with the channels loaded HOO.

All these bits and pieces are easy to correct.

Otherwise as expected, the reflector has produced some wonderful detail. Well done.

Cheers, happy new year and HTH.

Auto-s_01.thumb.jpg.3241e14d8d70480889742ef38b9f1a6e.jpg

You've done it some justice. Cheers.

11 hours ago, Grant93 said:

How do you stack in Siril from different nights, Do I even need to put them in different files if every night is the same settings, similar temperature etc?

Over and above the advice given by alacant.....Also try the Sirilic tool. This automates the siril processes in an intuitive manner and it allows you to split and process data from different days with different settings. I use this for all my processing. Here is a good intro available on the startools website http://download.startools.org/Siril with Sirilic.pdf

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AstroMuni said:

Over and above the advice given by alacant.....Also try the Sirilic tool. This automates the siril processes in an intuitive manner and it allows you to split and process data from different days with different settings. I use this for all my processing. Here is a good intro available on the startools website http://download.startools.org/Siril with Sirilic.pdf

Brilliant! Will take a look this weekend :D Thank you

I like the image. What's interesting is that your colour variation  (redder round the outside, greener towards the middle) is in good agreement with what we see in comparing Ha and OIII filters on this target. This suggests that the filter is doing a good job of not damaging the data it's passing.

Olly