SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Quick Binocular Session - First Clear Night for Weeks 2nd Jan 2021

Captain Scarlet

We've had weeks and weeks of cloudy skies lately, so in spite of the fact it was very windy last night, I suited up and had a short session after midnight. The sky to the East was regularly lit up with huge flashes: there was clearly some massive storm going on over towards Cork. As it turns out, many in the East Cork area were without electricity today as a result. @niallk you must've been in the line of fire?

However, it was reasonably clear near Baltimore, though I suspect there was a bit of thin cloud, so using my 15x56s handheld+elbows I took in a few Messiers.

First was M101 which I've learned to spot quite easily now, though it is a very faint smudge. M51 was easy too, though I couldn't keep still enough to see if I could detect twin-cores. Leo was high up, so without knowing the layout I scanned his hind-quarters to see what I could see. There were indeed a couple of reasonably bright patches, which SS showed me were M65 and M66, and on further research this morning I learned they form part of the Leo Triplet. That's a "bino-tick" for me.

I've not looked at the Nova in Cas for a long while, and at first I struggled to find it in a different orientation from before. I understand from the Nova Cas thread that it's now rather dim, around mag 10. And so it is. Just before this session I'd nipped outside with some 8x42s, and couldn't see anything where the Nova should be. Now I took a quick look with the 15x56s and yes there was something there, but I had to concentrate. M52 and the Airplane asterism always nice too, of course.

A quick session so the observing itch was somewhat scratched after so many barren weeks.

Cheers, Magnus

Edited by Captain Magenta
typo
  • Like 8

Nice report @Captain Magenta!  

I'm actually in Dublin at the moment, so missed the sorm / power outages!!  One thing I noticed last night was just how bad the light pollution is in Dublin - no seeing Orion's Sword naked eye for sure.

Nice to get to scratch that itch: Was hoping to get out over the Xmas hols, but it seemed like constant cloud cover 🙄

• Like 1

Good to get out there Magnus. With the weather as it is you have to take any chance there is! He says, after missing the chance to put a scope out last night, pleading tiredness! Must try harder! 🤪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, niallk said:

Nice report @Captain Magenta!  

I'm actually in Dublin at the moment, so missed the sorm / power outages!!  One thing I noticed last night was just how bad the light pollution is in Dublin - no seeing Orion's Sword naked eye for sure.

Nice to get to scratch that itch: Was hoping to get out over the Xmas hols, but it seemed like constant cloud cover 🙄

I was In Dublin myself over Christmas and there were a couple of clearish nights. I also looked out for the LP, yes it is bad! The only silver lining is that it makes the contrast between there and here all the more noticeable!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Good to get out there Magnus. With the weather as it is you have to take any chance there is! He says, after missing the chance to put a scope out last night, pleading tiredness! Must try harder! 🤪

Thanks Stu. Tuesday tomorrow night is looking clear and, importantly, not too windy at last, so the 12" may well come out. Though it will be cold for a change.

• Like 2