SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky watcher GPS dongle

Hi this may be a stupid question , I have ordered a sky watcher GPS dongle from FLO ( out of stock but I only like to use FLO so waiting for it ) now once it's lock on to its satellite and set up the hand set does it have to stay plugged in to hand set of can it be unplugged and put away

I'm not aware of any GPS receiver device that can keep track of it's own location when turned off or not able to receive GPS signals - if that's what you mean by 'put away'. Leave a receiver off for a while and it has to re-establish which satellites it can now 'see' prior to calculating it's own location. The GPS satellites are not geo-stationary, so any receiver changes which satellites are being used over time.

48 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Hi I was thinking it's just to set up the handset save you putting in all the info then it's not doing anything after that , so could it be unplugged ? Your not going to be moving the mount once this is done 

No Paul it's this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/skywatcher-gps-mouse.html

If it's for one-off positional input, it's a bit of a waste. Just enter the numbers manually from your info of choice - mobile phone etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for the chat Paul I emailed FLO and asked them to change it to the Wi-Fi dongle which is cheaper 

This now raises another question will it work with stellariaum or do I have to use sky safari pro 6

Edited by Neil H
Typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Neil H said:

Thanks for the chat Paul I emailed FLO and asked them to change it to the Wi-Fi dongle which is cheaper 

This now raises another question will it work with stellariaum or do I have to use sky safari pro 6

The wifi dongle just uses an ip address and baud rate which the Linux mount drivers (indilib) support. Probably uses the same settings as the AZ-Gti which is popular mount for ASIAir and other Linux astro.

You can use the wifi dongle as the hotspot or connect to another hotspot (your network or Stellarium).

• Like 1