Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new Helios LightQuest-HR 28x110 binos – advice for mounting please + some general questions

jxclarke

Hi all, new member here

My pair of new Helios LightQuest-HR 28x110 binoculars arrived in the post yesterday and I can't wait to use them – hopefully once all this cloud finally clears. They're absolute monsters, although they are surprisingly light for their size at only 4.5 kg. I purchased them from Microglobe here: https://www.microglobe.co.uk/helios-28x110-lightquest-hr-obsrvation-binoculars-p-20179.html? 

Before I can use them properly of course, I'll need to organise a mounting system sturdy enough to hold these massive binos. Other than a pair of cheap (and now severely out of collimation) 10x50 binos, these are the first pair I've bought for stargazing, so I was hoping I could get some advice about my options for mounting from this forum, as well as answers to a few general questions about my new binoculars from those with experience!

Firstly, I already have a tripod which was given to me by a family member who no longer needed it for his telescope. I believe it to be more than strong enough to hold the 4.5 kg 28x110s. It is an iOptron iEQ45/CEM60 2″ Tripod (8021ACC) and details can be found here: https://astronomyplus.com/product/ioptron-ieq45-cem60-2-tripod-8021acc/ I note the thread size is described as M12, which I believe is a 1/2" thread; I am concerned as most of the mounts I've seen seem to require a different thread size (usually 1/4" or 3/8"). Would it be possible to buy an adapter to allow these mounts to fit my tripod, or would an entirely new tripod be required?

Speaking of mounts, I am very keen on getting a parallelogram mount to get the most out of my experience, and would prefer this over a regular 'stand-up' mount if possible. Luckily, these LightQuest-type binos have a magnesium alloy body and are thus much lighter than other 28x110 models out there, probably almost as light as some 25x100 models. With this in mind, could anyone please kindly direct me to a suitable parallelogram mount that can be purchased from the UK? The cheaper the better; however, I understand that I will need to spend a fair amount for a system strong enough to hold my 4.5 kg binos comfortably. I am not above doing a DIY parallelogram mount if detailed instructions and kit were available, but would much prefer to just buy one now and be done with it. I have seen a few from international sellers on eBay which look promising, e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363375525407?hash=item549ade7e1f%3Ag%3Ax-0AAOSwMmBVr5xa&LH_BIN=1 though would prefer to buy from a UK-based seller if one exists.

I also wanted to ask what other component has come in the box along with my binoculars. I am wondering if it is perhaps used for mounting? It is separate from the already attached central stabilising bar; please see the object below and to the left of the binos on the attached image to see what I mean. (20p coin included to show the size of these beasts for any who may be wondering!)

IMG_0502.thumb.jpg.6eba64a74c28c9a625f9b731ee24ee55.jpg

Finally, is there anyone else on this forum who has this specific model of binocular? I understand they are a very new model so there aren't many reviews to be found out there, though the ones I've seen have only said good things – hence why I purchased. I think there are other 28x110 models out there which are almost exactly the same, just with different branding/livery, so anyone who at least has a 28x110 with similar specs please feel free to chip in! I'd love to hear about how they've performed for you and the sights you've been able to see. Also, any idea about the limiting magnitude you would get with this model? I would expect somewhere between mag. 11.0 and mag. 12.0 for me in a Bortle Class 4 area (according to https://www.lightpollutionmap.info).

Sorry for such a long first post. Many thanks in advance to anyone who reads and/or replies. Happy Christmas and Happy New Year!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jxclarke said:

I believe it to be more than strong enough to hold the 4.5 kg 28x110s. It is an iOptron iEQ45/CEM60 2″ Tripod (8021ACC) and details can be found here: https://astronomyplus.com/product/ioptron-ieq45-cem60-2-tripod-8021acc/ I note the thread size is described as M12, which I believe is a 1/2" thread; I

The tripod is sufficiently sturdy, but you will need to find some sort of head for it. Note that M12 is NOT 1/2"! Any sufficiently sturdy head will likely have a 3/8" thread in its base, so you will need some form of adaptor.

Speaking of mounts, I am very keen on getting a parallelogram mount to get the most out of my experience, and would prefer this over a regular 'stand-up' mount if possible.

With that size of binocular, you really want a parallelogram or a yoke. The most readily available parallelogram that is sturdy enough is the Orion Monster. The AstroDevices one is a bit cheaper and will also hold the weight. Note that this one will require that you get counterweights separately. (It's the one in my avatar, and my review of it is here, but note that Valentin has made lots of improvements to it in the 4 years since I got one, addressing the shortcomings I noted in the review.)

I'd be wary of the 15 lb claims made for the one you linked to. The ones that he says can be used if you add extra weight weigh less than half as much as yours. There really is no point in buying decent binos (or any other kit) then hobbling them with an inadequate mount.

I don't use a yoke, but others may chime in with comments (or you could search these forums or Cloudy Nights).

I am not above doing a DIY parallelogram mount

I have some links on this page. Graham's one can be scaled up, and Scott's one is likely sturdy enough as shown. Also @michael.h.f.wilkinson has made one and I think the plans are on here somewhere. Also worth asking @Peter Drew - he has decades of experience and probably knows more about this sort of thing than anyone else on these forums.

HTH

Edited by BinocularSky
Typo correction
  • Like 2

Many thanks @BinocularSky for all this helpful info. The AstroDevices mount that you linked looks good and not overly expensive too, so I think I might go for that. If anyone else has any suggestions though I'd still be very grateful to hear them before I purchase probably later today.

May I also say that all the past binocular reviews on your site as well as the countless replies you've made to others on this forum over the years have helped me tremendously in my research over the past few months before I bought the binos – thank you for all you have done.

Best wishes

Edited by jxclarke
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jxclarke said:

I am very keen on getting a parallelogram mount to get the most out of my experience

Hi jxclarke, welcome to SGL.

I brought my Orion Parallelogram from:

https://uk.telescope.com/Orion-Monster-Parallelogram-Binocular-Mount-and-Tripod/p/115507.uts

Very good service, and the mount is amazing with my Orion Giant View 25x100 binoculars.

You may also need this spacer for your bino's but best to check.

https://uk.telescope.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&siteCode=UK&keyword=%237590

Good luck with your Helios Binoculars.

Mick.

Edited by Mick H
  • Like 2

If you have a “skywatcher” EQ mount tripod there is “puck” adapter you can find that converts to a 3/8” screw for attaching other stuff to. 
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/astro-essentials-38-photo-adapter-for-az-eq6-neq6-and-eq6-r-tripods.html
That widget on your picture should be the mounting bracket that ought to slide along the centre bar so you can change the balance point as you move the binoculars in altitude. I had some old 25x100 and the bar was not removable, so odd to see it not connected?!

Peter

• Like 1

I have the HR28x110 and decided against selling them a while back, I have a home build P mount which is essential for your viewing comfort. I also have a very large fork mount with encoders which I use up to around 60-70 degrees.  

The double cluster ,Orion nebular  and Saturn are spectacular and you could get away with a large fluid head like this as I did in the beginning.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203728321880?hash=item2f6f277d58:g:dCMAAOSwKeFhpNut

• Like 2

I as out last night under bortle 6 sky, nice views during clear seeing of the Crab Nebula.

My 28×110 is mounted on a heavy duty self made fork mount + encoders on top of a Manfrotto 161MK2 ,  Nexus II  helps find tiny targets and faint galaxies, this pixel 6 image was taken hand held in darkness 👍😁

PXL_20220105_210227591.jpg

PXL_20220105_210452168.jpg

• Like 5