Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark frame library query

jacko61

Since I'm now isolating due to my better half testing positive I thought I'd make a start on my Darks library. I'll be recording frames at 60s, 120s, 180s, 240s and 300s initially.  However, Something occurred to me just after I set the first plan away in APT.

I have three (potentially 5) telescope setups that I could use depending on the field of view I'm wanting to capture.  These would be Celestron c8 with .63 reducer/flattener,  WO ZS73 with flat73a flattener and WO ZS73 with flat73r reducer/flattener.  (the other two might be the scopes without flatteners but unlikely).

My question then... Do I need a separate set of flats for each set up or will one set cover all three? 

Graeme

23 minutes ago, jacko61 said:

My question then... Do I need a separate set of flats for each set up or will one set cover all three? 

To answer your query about darks - yes, you'll need different set of flats for each setup :D

(if you mean darks - then no, as long as you keep all parameters the same as lights - gain, bias, temperature, exposure length ...).

• Haha 2

Darks can be shared between different scopes, but flats cannot. The purpose of a flat is to provide a 'map' of the illumination of the sensor, as well as any dust in the optical path so it can be corrected during image calibration. This 'map' is certain to be different between different scopes.

Some will advise taking flats after each session, but if you keep the camera on the scope, flats can be reused between sessions. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

To answer your query about darks - yes, you'll need different set of flats for each setup :D

(if you mean darks - then no, as long as you keep all parameters the same as lights - gain, bias, temperature, exposure length ...).

Hah! Thanks Vlaiv. Definitely meant Darks., Confused myself as I just bought a light panel to do my flats and I've been playing with it this morning :)

Graeme