Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from East Yorkshire

d-s-m

I recently purchased a pair of 10x50 binoculars and as soon as I looked through them for the first time, I immediately thought "I need to get a telescope!" So I'm currently spending a lot of time reading reviews and old forum threads on various telescopes, but still not sure what to get! Hopefully I can figure it out by time these heavy clouds disappear 😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Rother Valley Optics are not far from you, a great place to buy and get some face to face advice. You have several great astronomy clubs in the area too. Download Go Stargazing, lots of information about clubs events, telescopes and tons of other things 

On 30/12/2021 at 08:29, Mr Spock said:

Hi, welcome to SGL :smile:

Plenty of advice on SGL about which scopes are best. The best advice I can give is don't rush into anything; take time to soak up all the information. 

Hello d-s-m, the above advice is seconded.

I spent an awful lot of time reading up no what I wanted to do when I first started out in astronomy. I still got it wrong at first, errr  3 telescopes later........ So advice is  when you think you know what you want, Start all over again but from a slightly different perspective. re-read your notes and think "is there anything I missed?"

I would especially,  say get in touch with a club if you can in your area if mat all possible.

Talk to as many people as you can and see if they will show you what they do and how they do it.

There is no better way to learn how to do it and what the pitfalls are than other peoples experiences.

It is slower, but cheaper in the long run. It may also stop you from becoming so despondent that you give it all up before you actually know enough about what you really like.