Narrowband

Jupiter

Jjmorris90

Hi all

this evening I managed to record Jupiter for about 10 minutes 10x1min videos 

i put the videos in lynkeos to choose the best frames but every single one is blurred. 

My setup canon 700d Sky-Watcher explorer 200p 

no Barlow lens 

Whilst I can achieve focus without the Barlow I believe it may have been a mistake on this occasion. 

it looked clear in the live view but on a computer when I zoom in it’s just a fuzz ball. 

i don’t get it. 

image.jpg

Was you zoomed in on screen when looking at the live view? Your focus should be sharp prior to capturing, first by getting the circumference of the planet sharp, then the details if there are any. I usually do this process twice to make sure. Capture as images rather than video as the image detail will be not compressed. You can capture with or without a barlow.

Looks to me like it should with the equipment used, or at least in the ballpark. Planetary imaging requires very different methods and equipment than deep sky long exposure, so you are just too wide for Jupiter to show much detail.

A commonly quoted target f-ratio would be 5 (or was it 6?) times the pixel size for planetary imaging with a colour camera, so for your 700D with 4.3 micron pixels you would want to have an f-ratio of around F21. So for the 200p being an F5 system you would want to use a 4x barlow to get there. If you have 2 different 2x barlows lying around, you could use both of those aswell, although the image quality will probably degrade compared to a single barlow. I got an image of Jupiter this summer using 2 different barlows on top of each other and a 550D in movie crop video mode. Wasn't a very good picture due to Jupiter being so low and probably the barlows/DSLR not being optimal for the job, but it was a picture.

Having said that, how high was Jupiter at the time of imaging? Jupiter is quite low in the sky for UK latitudes so the atmosphere is probably also working against you here.

The Canon .mov video file format is not very good for doing lucky imaging for planetary images. The file format is too 'lossy'. DSLRs are best for long exposure deep sky imaging; but then you run into problems with thermal noise from amp glow unless you can cool the camera.