Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What are your astro plans for 2022?

RobertI

1 hour ago, russ said:

200x is the max, sometimes not even close to that. 150x was the optimum last year. Mars and Jupiter so high this year, hoping they will take more.

Depends on conditions, I had some nights on Mars last opposition at x300 with a 4” apo and x360 with 8” f8 dob. Lovely views when you can get that high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russ said:

200x is the max, sometimes not even close to that. 150x was the optimum last year. Mars and Jupiter so high this year, hoping they will take more.

I remember one night here in Ohio going into last fall.  It was as close to perfect as I have seen.  I was able to get to about 400x before stuff went sideways

I know it's silly to make astro plans with our rubbish climate, but I *may* start looking at the Hickson Compact Groups. My G3 16200 is a bit wide, even on the ODK 12, but an ASI 533 Might be doable, even with the ludicrous 0.39"/ps plate scale. I could also use it with my Leitz lenses for the mobile widefield setup.

Edited by DaveS

On 29/12/2021 at 12:46, John said:

I feel this is one of the biggest challenges for newcomers to the hobby who do not wish to invest in GOTO mounts. Once the obvious and easy to find targets have been observed and the enthusiasm fired, quite naturally folks want to progress onto slightly more challenging targets but can find this daunting and frustrating.

I have wondered if we could start a thread or even a sub-section in the observing part of the forum where more experienced observers can post their favorite "star hops" or similar target finding advice, charts etc which can gradually build into a readily accessible resource for those building their experience and widening there observing "repertoire" :icon_scratch:

I'd certainly be happy to contribute to that (and borrow some as well !) :smiley: 

I wish I could have afforded the big XX16 with go to....but that was just not in the budget at the time.  Hopefully Orion brings it back when I can afford it.

19 hours ago, Stu said:

Depends on conditions, I had some nights on Mars last opposition at x300 with a 4” apo and x360 with 8” f8 dob. Lovely views when you can get that high.

I'm really hoping so Stu. I remember having Mars up around 350-400x back in 2008 using the C8. Never been that lucky with Jupiter and Saturn, even in 2003 when they were practically over head. Probably our location.

2 hours ago, russ said:

I'm really hoping so Stu. I remember having Mars up around 350-400x back in 2008 using the C8. Never been that lucky with Jupiter and Saturn, even in 2003 when they were practically over head. Probably our location.

Saturn and, especially, Jupiter don’t need/take super high mags. Mars is a different matter.
Alternatively, try binoviewers for his resolution views.