Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Nebula from Courchevel, France

irtuk

With clear skies on the radar for my ski trip I lugged the rig over to Courchevel in the French Alps, passing through the tunnel at about 2:30 on the Friday 17th having packed everything at the last minute and picked the wife and kids up from school. Not so hard for us living about 20 minutes from the tunnel but my sympathies to anyone having to cancel at the last minute due to Macron's announcement.

Anyhow. here's my Orion Nebula. Its LRGB stacked in APP and processed in Pixinsight.

large.Orion.jpg.166103e6746a42e23c563e8e823610cb.jpg

Seems a bit overblown in the middle, not sure what to do to bring more detail out in that region, maybe dial down the luminance channel a bit? I also didn't rebuild flat and dark libraries whilst out there, too much else to do with 10 of us out there so I am using my existing libraries. same rig but a lot colder up there. also I normally shoot 120s exposures but on Orion I had to cut that to 15 sec. Not the main point of the holiday so, I am more than happy with this so far. I have the Heart Nebula and the Pleiades to play with as well.

The French for "Bolt" incidentally is "Boulon" and the French for washer is "Rondelle" and a decent B&Q substitute is Weldom. here's the one in Moutiers :) The bolt for my pier was too long for the tripod so I had to go on a little trip.

image.thumb.png.6a1b204050ecdff80db313865411b8e5.png

Ed.

• Like 3