Narrowband

Astronomy Diploma courses

Loki1978

Hi All, 

Hope you are all having a good festive break.

I was just wondering if any of you can recommend a good Astronomy diploma course. Or any to avoid. 

I've been looking for a while and there are a few around but the details on the content is always a bit limited

Edited by Loki1978

The centre of Excellence do one I believe. I don't think they are worth anything academically as it were but I did an organic gardening one with them. It was quite good and I learnt a fair bit, it gave me decent bragging rights at the allotment anyway. 😁

I'm sure they still have their permanant discount code running which reduces all courses to £29.99. www.centreofexcellence.com

Thanks very much. I did notice the centre for excellence one. I may give that a go. Not really doing it for the certification just general interest really. Might be nice to have something to hang on the wall once its all done. They are doing the course for £58.50 at the moment. I will see if the discount code still works.

I did come across a site called coursera which has a handfull of free astronomy courses from various institutions around the world. I might give some of those a look too. They seem to range from beginner to intermediate. 

Edited by Loki1978

4 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Coursera is an excellent resource.  If there is an Astronomy course still available from Duke University in their library it is excellent (and free).

Ah, good to hear. I will have a look. As most of the coursera courses seem to be between 25 and 45 hours to complete I might just start running through them. Better than being sat in front of the tv of an evening. I did spend 2.5 hours watching 'Dont look up' yesterday though 🙄

I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but if you're interested in just the learning side of things without the desire for a qualification, I can highly recommend "Michel van Biezen" on YouTube.

Below is a link to his profile. If you go to the "Playlist" section you can see a vast number of Astronomy related lectures aimed at different levels from the basics up to Astrophysics.

https://youtube.com/c/MichelvanBiezen

It's been a while since I took my astrophysics module at university, so I've been going through these astronomy videos to remind myself of what I've forgotten!

Hi Loki1978,

If you are looking for a serious diploma the University of Central Lancashire's distance learning course is good (I am currently enrolled). You can go for various levels of qualification from Certificate to full Bachelors.

Cheers!

• Like 1