SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Soligor telescope

Can someone help me with this telescope. Bought it back in the 90’s and just found it again while cleaning out my closet. Not sure what all the numbers mean or if it is worth keeping   See attached pictures for all information. Thanks330F1FA4-5E5A-4070-B086-BE195D27C489.thumb.jpeg.ae4bdc828ae7db73a76149cd4a8c0d76.jpeg

I’m sure many more knowledgable people will chip in here, but it appears to be identical to the one described in this post (and the linked posts therein). It appears to be a mass produced budget telescope from the 1980’s - probably of little monetary value but might be worth trying out under the stars - if you like what it can do, then keep it! 

Hi @Mrself58 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

3 hours ago, Mrself58 said:

Can someone help me with this telescope. Bought it back in the 90’s and just found it again while cleaning out my closet. Not sure what all the numbers mean or if it is worth keeping   See attached pictures for all information. Thanks330F1FA4-5E5A-4070-B086-BE195D27C489.thumb.jpeg.ae4bdc828ae7db73a76149cd4a8c0d76.jpeg

F=700* this is the OTA/tube overall length of the total light path travelled. As the tube is short, the light path is 'folded' to compensate for the long length.
divided by...
D=76mm [diameter of the objective]
equals...
Focal Ratio: 7.9**

Therefore: 700 / 76 = 7.9

* In other words, light enters at the front... first 350mm and the photons hit the primary mirror... they then bounce off the secondary mirror which is also at 350mm giving you the total of 700mm.
** the focal ratio is: 7.894736842105263 rounded up to the nearest decimal place.

Hope this makes sense... maths and mathematics was never my strongest subject at school, and I choose a hobby that involves it!

Edited by Philip R

Another thing to bear in mind, if you decide to keep it and that is eyepieces. I think they are/were 0.965" which was the 'standard' when they were released. Now days the 'standard' is 1.25"

To give you a size comparison, I attach below an image of my 0.965" / 6mm Ortho and 1.25" - 0.965" adapter...
PIC036.JPG.256ee1ad02e01b954596c702e30a1d20.JPG

You can still obtain 0.965" eyepieces from some well known online internet auction sites and warehouses.

Edited by Philip R

9 hours ago, Philip R said:

* In other words, light enters at the front... first 350mm and the photons hit the primary mirror... they then bounce off the secondary mirror which is also at 350mm giving you the total of 700mm.
** the focal ratio is: 7.894736842105263 rounded up to the nearest decimal place

Not right. The telescope is catadioptric, a sort of Jones-Bird type. Within the focuser is a corrector lens which increases the focal length to 600mm and also corrects the spherical aberration of the primary mirror. The secondary lens is attached to an optical flat rather than spider vanes. 

A (very) old thread showing the Tasco version

On 26/12/2021 at 09:49, Cornelius Varley said:

Not right. The telescope is catadioptric, a sort of Jones-Bird type. Within the focuser is a corrector lens which increases the focal length to 600mm and also corrects the spherical aberration of the primary mirror. The secondary lens is attached to an optical flat rather than spider vanes. 

A (very) old thread showing the Tasco version

Thank you for clarifying @Cornelius Varley. :icon_salut:

So, it is a 'Jones-Bird' 'scope... trying trying to emulate a Maksutov-Newtonian [without the meniscus cell] then? - it has been a long time since I have seen one! 😉

Edited by Philip R