Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

need a bit of help?

Hi guys,

I have been using my 20-108*70mm binos. but say for instance i find ursa major, it is very hard with the nocks to find the star i pin point with my eye. i did find the star on the handle and there was actually two there with 1 tiney one in the middle. But as i was looking i am never 100% that it is what i seen with my naked eye firstly.

When looking at orions belt i can see i am on the belt because i can see the 3 stars together, but when the stars are more spread out it is hard to know where i am. any tips?

thanks again

Here's something I learned while watching Hawk, Eagle and Osprey nests in the Spring.

When nest-watching, I aim the (tripod mounted) binos and center the nest in the fov... easy enough. Then in order to see if either parent is coming in for a landing to feed the chicks, I raise my eyes just enough to peer over the top of the binos objectives, with the nest 'resting' on the upper curve of the objectives.

After a while of doing this, I noticed that the eyecups touch different 'spots' of my nose when I raise my eyes to peer over the objectives for the wide view. When using the 11x70s, the eyecups barely skim the top outside of my nostrils, and when using the 22x100s they touch the center of the bridge of my nose.

I reverse the process at night to get on my target. First I rest the (tripod mounted) binos' eyecups in their proper 'spot' on my nose, and aim the binos to bring my target atop the curve of the objectives while peering over the top of the binos. Then I lower my eyes down to the eyepieces, and the target's in the fov every time. Takes a bit of practice, but it works a charm. :lol:

I sort of line the tripod with bins on up in the vertical plane. I have no trouble with this but Mrs Tiny had to practise a bit. Then get the bins pointing below the object and slowly raise them. As long as the object is not too dim this seems to work and if the object is familiar it is a doddle. As for looking through the bins I hold one leg of the tripod in each hand and burrow the eyes into the cups hard. This seems to give a steady image.

The bins are 15x70.

In the day, watching barn owls hunting I was amazed to find I could get away with leaning one arm on a solid surface to steady the image. I suppose it is easier as the image is nearer flat horizontal to about 30 degrees up rather than up in the sky at much greater angles as most stars are.

Mitchel,

Some good tips for you from the other members. Don't forget that next time you see Mizar/Alcor you will know exactly what you are looking at. My point is,it does take time to learn the sky.

Can't really add anything to what other members have said.

Just one tip I suppose: I would advise you to buy a cheap binocular with more Field Of View (FOV) and use these to learn your way around. It would be so much easier and quicker. Use them at the same time as your biggies.

Clear Skies.

Glen.

I too use the line the bins up with the eyes, lower them a little so I can see over the top, look at the patch of sky I want to look at and move the bins into my line of vision. It can take a little practice, but it works well.

cheers guys for the advice, My girlfriend is semi interested in astronomy so ive persuaded her to buy some cheaper binos and maybe i can use them in conuction with my lareger ones and then i will no where i am hopefully. Im getiing there lol thanks

That's good news Mitchel. Another member for our forum :)

Don't worry about finding your way around,it will become easy with practice.

I've been out tonight with the biggies and it took me 15 minutes to find M81 and M82 :lol:

Good to see you are enjoying yourself :blob8:

Clear Skies.

Glen.

Something else I just remembered. I read it a long time ago but never tried it and don't know of anyone who has. The article said to tape a common drinking straw to the binos (after sighting it in, I assume) and use it like a site-tube. Sounds like it could get knocked out of alignment easily, but it might be worth a try. :lol:

Archived