Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Evaluation of Tif file needed

I have tried several different work flows in pixinsight that I have followed on the web and youtube. I have had some moderate success at best but nothing I really like that much.  Everything I come up with looks off color, crappy red stars or just plain over processed.  Im hoping someone can look at my stacked tiff file and give it a go and see if it is my processing work flow or the way Im taking the initial images. 

2600MC pro OSC, z73 with 73a FF.  This stack is the first time Im using the ZWO duoband filter and I cant say I like it much, but Im betting its because I dont know what Im doing.  

Stack consists of 89 x  180sec lights. It does have darks/flats/bias as well.   I guess at this point I need to know if I need to change my processing or my capturing. Thank you much for any insight.

Bob

M31Andromeda.TIF

Narrowband filters dont really work on galaxies, unless youre trying to capture H-alpha and mix that with normal OSC/RGB data in the end. You cannot colourbalance a galaxy to look natural with most of the spectrum missing.

I would suggest using the duoband filter for its intended targets (emission nebulae) and shooting galaxies with no filter or just a UV/IR filter.

16 hours ago, 69boss302 said:

II guess at this point I need to know if I need to change my processing or my capturing. Thank you much for any insight.

Before anyone can answer that question, you need to answer one in return: what are you trying to achieve?

Personally I find that monochrome images can be just as pleasing and as informative as those which are coloured according to the artist's preconception of what they ought to look like.

The version of M31 which appears above is a case in point. It is sharp, detailed and picks out the faint extremities extremely well. That is just an overview. I have not yet examined it closely enough to see whether you have captured globular clusters, individual stars, and so on.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xilman said:

I have not yet examined it closely enough to see whether you have captured globular clusters, individual stars, and so on.

Now that I have, I can see that you have picked up one of my favourite stars, AE And, bright and clear. It is a blue supergiant in the galaxy.

AE_And.png.86d05a1355b7399425d9c36195592cf4.png

I now have little doubt that thousands, if not hundreds, of other individual stars in M31 are visible in the full image. A few dozen globular clusters should be there too.

Well done both you! A very nice picture.

Edited by Xilman
Add image
  • Like 1

Thank you all very much, I really appreciate that!  Going in to this shoot, I knew the duoband was probably not a great idea, but I guess thats how I learn, by trying and seeing results. It also explains why I was getting terrible color.   Tonight is supposed to be a clear night again so maybe Ill shoot this target again sans filter.  Once again, thank you for your very helpful feedback, it is much appreciated.

Bob

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 69boss302 said:

Tonight is supposed to be a clear night again so maybe Ill shoot this target again sans filter.

Please do, go as deep as is reasonable, and repeat the exercise as often as you can over the next few weeks or months.

It is well within your capabilities not only to record the presence of Cepheid variables but also to monitor their change in brightness and so make your own measurement of the distance to M31.

If you need assistance, please ask. I'm sure a number of people here will be extremely willing to help you to analyse your data. Citizen science in action!

Edited by Xilman
Add "or months".
  • Like 1