SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar ED150 Pro?

Hello guys,

Quick question, is there a way to tell visibly the difference between one of the early problematic Skywatcher Evostar ED150 Pro's? Like John had on test, and one of the later Skywatcher ED150's, which sorted the issues? 

Thanks

David

Edited by Dave1

I’m not sure there is any difference between old and new Skywatcher 150ED units - apart from the delivery boxes which have been beefed up.

If you are buying a used ED150 it would be very wise to star test it before purchase.

Every new unit is now pre-checked and tuned - if required - as part of the purchase price. So you can buy new with confidence.

They do represent excellent value for money in the 6” refractor arena 👍

Edited by dweller25

Cheers Dweller,

I was under the impression that there was issue with collimation and lens tilt in the first examples, I am reading through John's old thread now. Did they sort the lens tilt issue?

I'd be looking at used. Will sit nicely on my Fullerscopes MKIV mount!

Edited by Dave1

Interesting this.

The packaging of the ED150 both externally and within the scope case was improved to prevent the sort of damage that my examples sustained during transit. This has I believe been successful.

The issue with the misaligned objective elements was caused by the lens retaining ring coming loose from it's threads and simply not doing it's job any more.

From feedback that I've seen on another forum the US Skywatcher vendor indicated that some small modifications were made to the objective cell design in the form of a more substantial lens retaining ring and a greater depth of thread for the retaining ring to screw into. As far as I am aware though the UK Skywatcher distributor has not confirmed these changes.

Since my early encounter with the ED150 I have not read of further such issues from other owners. Reports of the performance of these good examples are very encouraging :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John
  • Like 2

@John its been a couple years since I did astronomy proper, so its been awhile since I've read all the bits of information here and over on Cloudy Nights regarding the Skywatcher ED150. Thanks for the summery. 

@Peter Drew thanks Peter for your feedback, have you had a chance to compare it to a 6" F15 achromat refractor? I'd be delighted with a 6" telescope on the planets.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John said:

From feedback that I've seen on another forum the US Skywatcher vendor indicated that some small modifications were made to the objective cell design in the form of a more substantial lens retaining ring and a greater depth of thread for the retaining ring to screw into. 

The lens cell is robust but Synta concluded the area where it screws into the OTA needed strengthening. They also strengthened the box and packaging. The changes were made very soon after the telescope was launched and were intended to ensure the telescope survives delivery via courier. I suspect your review here at SGL, John, of a damaged telescope partly influenced their decision. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1