SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The weather is mocking us!

lukebl

Just look at the latest satellite image of NW Europe.

The weather is mocking us and our relationship with the rest of Europe. An immovable bank of low cloud whilst across the Channel it's blazing sunshine!

51759828957_f6d1fc8077_o.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Apart from some VERY LATE , clear nights a couple of weeks ago the weather has been particularly shocking for astronomy this autumn /early winter . Clear frosty nights seem to be things of the past .. and with low pressure due to be in charge by Christmas , there isn't a lot of reasonable hope for the near future . Apart from the annoyance it also serves as a reminder why , in Britain , we tend to lug everything outside when there is an hour of clear sky . I'm sure we are the most dedicated bunch ! WE DESERVE BETTER . :) 

• Like 4

It seems as though my current weather, in SW Ireland, has been exactly the same for weeks: 10-15mph SE avg gusting to 20-25mph and solid low cloud, day in day out. And before that when there were clear spells, it was positively stormy. So anything other than a grabngo or bins hasn’t been out for a couple of months. 

• Like 1

Typical - we had 1 1/2 really good nights in Sheffield last week just before my motivation to really get back into things kicked in.  So, took the opportunity to have my scope in at RVO to have a whirl on their Zygo, have been really fiddling around in the murky depths of KStars/EKOS to ensure that, as far as I can be sure, everything works each and every time I fire it all up (the number of hours I have lost with stuff just not quite starting up properly!).

I will be attempting to service my mount as well over the next few days so hopefully when there is a decent night I will be good to go :) 

15 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

… Takes a special kind of crazy to do astronomy in Finland it seems …

Luckily, being Suomalainen, you are a perfect fit! 😁

full disclosure: I am half Finn myself 🇫🇮 

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 1

Know of someone in the US who had 144 nights of imaging in 2021!! Those are the one they decided to image on... Silver linings though, we the ' haul it all out each night' brigade would be in traction by then 😛. Wonder what must planning a 30 hour imaging run feel like when the worry is not the weather... 

Edited by GalaxyGael

9 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

On the plus side I have spent a few bob recently on some upgrades and a refurb which is yet to be started  so at least I can take my time with these 😅.  #glasshalffull

I know the feeling. This cloud is VERY expensive!

Just want a chance to try some of my new toys out ☹️

I am glad I am not the only one noticing this. I have noted about 12 hours of clear skies in the whole of December. I am actually going to put together a calendar starting next year to show clear, partial and cloud to see how painful it is here in the UK for getting clear nights. Will be interesting to see and tally up the whole of 2022! Let’s hope January is an improvement! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gonariu said:

I saw that these days even in the United Kingdom the temperatures have risen to 12º - 15 ° even if the cloud cover has remained, at least you have a milder weather.

It's actually warmer than it was on some days in May and June but it's no good having mild temperatures when it's raining everyday