Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Celestron Astro FI 125mm won't rotate

Hi guys

I just set up my new Celestron Astro FI 125mm and I'm having teething problems straight out the gates! Everything was going well until I tried to align it using the SkyPortal app and use the arrow controls on there but it will only move up and down and won't rotate

Im sure there's something super simple I haven't done or have missed but I'm at a loss at the moment

Thanks in advance!

On 21/12/2021 at 01:20, Tk279 said:

Hi guys

I just set up my new Celestron Astro FI 125mm and I'm having teething problems straight out the gates! Everything was going well until I tried to align it using the SkyPortal app and use the arrow controls on there but it will only move up and down and won't rotate

Im sure there's something super simple I haven't done or have missed but I'm at a loss at the moment

Thanks in advance!

Can you hear any motors whirring when you try to move it the left or right? I don't know if the mount has clutches but it may be worth checking, and if so tightening them up (a loose clutch allows you to move the telescope without engaging the motors).

5 hours ago, Shimrod said:

Can you hear any motors whirring when you try to move it the left or right? I don't know if the mount has clutches but it may be worth checking, and if so tightening them up (a loose clutch allows you to move the telescope without engaging the motors).

Hi Shimrod! Thank you for the reply, I can hear a clicking noise as I push the rotate arrows and the connection light flickers in response to the command so its definitely being received. In terms of the clutch, it's all integrated and I don't know if I can get in there 😖 is this a take it back situation do you think?

Thanks again!

16402147888516036176394862162956.jpg

10 hours ago, Tk279 said:

Hi Shimrod! Thank you for the reply, I can hear a clicking noise as I push the rotate arrows and the connection light flickers in response to the command so its definitely being received. In terms of the clutch, it's all integrated and I don't know if I can get in there 😖 is this a take it back situation do you think?

Thanks again!

If there are no external clutches, then apart from ensuring the mount is firmly secured to the tripod I cannot think of any cause other than a fault in the mount. Perhaps someone on here with experience of the mount will be able to suggest something else.

10 hours ago, Tk279 said:

If it's new, and you think it's faulty, refer the problem to where you bought it. It should be under warranty, and it's their problem, not yours. (And if they are useless, you know not to buy from them again.)

What power source are you using? If you are using a mains supply or a power pack then it looks like an internal fault in the mount. If using the AA batteries pack then this is the first motor to stop rotating the mount as it demands more from the batteries than the vertical slewing. If it is the mount at fault then I’d return it to the supplier 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi TK,

How did you get on?  Only just arrived on the forum in past 24 hours but I've not had any major issues with this scope/mount since I got it a few weeks ago. 

Only thing I did do was use this to update the firmware (will need to install java) as mine was second hand and a few years old, but doest sound it has much to do with your issue.