Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Siril ?

bruno

HI Does anyone know how to reduce the size of the screen in Siril as it is too big for the screen and i can't see any of the buttons (pressing the minimise button doesn't help & also when i open the Colour calibration panel for it to do a plate solve and get the colours the OK button is hidden out of site  so i can't use it i would have to do a calibration manually.

Thank for any info Bruno

I don't want to hijack the thread, but title is rather convenient for what I'm about to ask.

Is there a way to tell Siril not to mess with ADU values when stacking? I don't want them to be scaled to 0-1 or 0-65535 range, I want them to be kept as they are.

Stargazer 33

That was one of the first things i checked for but the resolution is ok & it's just for windows and not Siril thanks for taking your time to answer, Bruno

Alicante

i watched the video, and i had previously tried that solution but as i had seen it done on your video i tried it again and it worked to some degree I can now see some of the buttons, but it I still can't alter the astrophotometry box what I will do is a reinstall see if that changes anything as this has only happen since i have up graded.

thanks for taking the time to answer Bruno.

23 hours ago, vlaiv said:

I don't want to hijack the thread, but title is rather convenient for what I'm about to ask.

Is there a way to tell Siril not to mess with ADU values when stacking? I don't want them to be scaled to 0-1 or 0-65535 range, I want them to be kept as they are.

Uncheck the "normalize output" button. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, lock042 said:

I can't seem to find it.

I just want to do registration step using Siril. I have my own set of calibrated images and I have a way that I'll stack those in the end.

All I want to use Siril for the time being is to register images on reference using Lanczos resampling, and when I do that - resulting images are scaled 0-1.

1 hour ago, lock042 said:

Ok, I seem to get it now.

Not sure why I have to make a copy of input files instead of adding them (on Windows symlink seems not to be working), but I can create sequence and then when I export things from sequence - it should give me normal values, right?

Just now, lock042 said:

Symlink do work with windows development mode on. 

But conversion does not change pixel value. 

Ok, excellent - I finally figured out.

I have one more question if you don't mind.

How do I specify destination folder / directory for where I want files to be located?

(btw, I like the way one can use single fits file as a sequence - it helps with file clutter)

Destination box won't let me type path like D:\my_folder\test_sequence

On 20/12/2021 at 18:01, bruno said:

HI Does anyone know how to reduce the size of the screen in Siril as it is too big for the screen and i can't see any of the buttons (pressing the minimise button doesn't help & also when i open the Colour calibration panel for it to do a plate solve and get the colours the OK button is hidden out of site  so i can't use it i would have to do a calibration manually.

Thank for any info Bruno

Could you send a screenshot please? 

5 minutes ago, lock042 said:

Try relative path. I know it works in script mode. 

It seems that I need to use command line and cd command to change working directory to where I want it to be. That is good enough - but not quite intuitive

11 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

It seems that I need to use command line and cd command to change working directory to where I want it to be. That is good enough - but not quite intuitive

To change working directory you can use the "home" button at the top.

• Thanks 1

I think Siril is great overall, but the background removal takes several tries for those in severe light poll. gradients like me, I find. APP still is the most effective imo in that regard. 

But, does anyone know how to use monochrome flats in siril? Even master flats from APP show up as single channel and siril seems to do e everything(?) based on channels? I would likely use it more was it not for issues with monochrome flats or master flats (color) stacked elsewhere where itcomplains that it does t ha e required channels to work with lights. Especially for older data where I cannot get new flats for example.

Scripts are handy, but the photometry parts are quite nice and still amazes that it is freeware too. 

Edited by GalaxyGael

16 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

I think Siril is great overall, but the background removal takes several tries for those in severe light poll. gradients like me, I find. APP still is the most effective imo in that regard. 

Did you tried to remove background on each sub? It works pretty well.

16 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

But, does anyone know how to use monochrome flats in siril?

Siril works only with monochrome or CFA flats. 

47 minutes ago, lock042 said:

not really- it says "The first thing to adjust is the order of the interpolation. Here, on a processing of a sequence of raw images, an order of 1 is generally used because, as we have said, the shape of the gradient is simpler on the raw images"  

Mousing over the setting in Siril it says the higher the order the more complex the gradient that can be removed.

would there be a disadvantage to using a higher order (like 4) all the time?

57 minutes ago, markse68 said:

What is the degree order setting in background extraction for? Does increasing this make it better for non linear background removal?

1: linear as in corner to corner straight simple gradient

2: more complex, maybe from 2 different directions (moon left LP down for example)

3 and 4: LP in several different directions, maybe light leaks etc. All my work takes level 3 or 4.

I find its really dependant on the sampler placement. If the gradient is very nuked you may have to treat the lit corner as "signal" and not sample as background. Sometimes i cant make it work fully and finish with GradientXterminator in PS though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lock042 said:

Did you tried to remove background on each sub? It works pretty well.

Siril works only with monochrome or CFA flats. 

Yes, but it is inferior to APP with my gradients, which shift during imaging and between night (neighbours lights etc.). It works very well with cleaner data sets though, I like it overall. 

I always get an error when using monochrome masterflats, never works. These flats were recorded mono using osc camera. 

4 minutes ago, markse68 said:

not really- it says "The first thing to adjust is the order of the interpolation. Here, on a processing of a sequence of raw images, an order of 1 is generally used because, as we have said, the shape of the gradient is simpler on the raw images"  

Mousing over the setting in Siril it says the higher the order the more complex the gradient that can be removed.

would there be a disadvantage to using a higher order (like 4) all the time?

If raw images contain first order - linear gradient, then stack will also contain first order - linear gradient as stack is formed by linear process between subs (weighted average for example is nothing more then linear process - addition with multiplicative constant).

What best describes gradient depends on image and of course type of gradient.

Wide field images are more likely to have higher order gradients in them as they contain more sky and it is likely the they have "part of light dome" in them. Smaller field of view will be better approximated with linear gradient as even complex surfaces on smaller scales can be represented with linear segment (think - round earth, but flat on scales of few km).

How well background can be removed depends also on type of object on the image. Star clusters, galaxies (that take up smaller part of fov) and galaxy clusters that are easy to deal with. Nebulosity that extends through the FOV is much harder to deal with and here if you choose higher order polynomial for interpolation can mess up things more than usual linear.

I'd say that rule of the thumb is - use linear unless you have very wide field of view - like more than 5-10°. Then you might need to use higher order approximation.

• Thanks 1

Sorry for the late reply Lock042, I have uploaded a screen shot of the photometric box i want to shrink so i can see all the buttons, i also wanted to shrink the main screen slightly it did let me adjust it a little bit.

I have have my computer set on the 100% recommended & i have managed to pull the corners in very slightly, it just the photometric screen there seems to be no adjustment at all the image below is all i get the last time i used it i could not see the OK button.

Thanks Bruno

photometric.png

• Thanks 1