Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zwo ASI 294MC pro Green background

IDM

Hi 

I recently purchased a Zwo ASI 294 MC Pro and am still getting to grips with it. Initially even the necessity to debayer was a new thing to me. My process so far is to take images using RAW16 and saving the images as either .png or .fit files. These are then debayered in PIPP and saved as .tiff files prior to being stacked in deep sky stacker, the output of DSS is saved as a .tif and finally manipulated in GIMP to stretch the image.

The problem is get is that during the stretching stage I get an ever increasing level of green background wash which I am finding very hard to deal with. Is my process wrong and/or is there a something I should be doing that would prevent the issue.

I am grateful for all tips and ideas on the most effective way to extract the best images from the data. I am a beginner at this so appreciate any ideas and thoughts.

Thanks,

Ian

Edited by IDM
mistake in title

• IDM changed the title to Zwo ASI 294MC pro Green background

As @alacant has said; loose the PIPP processes, these can all be done in DSS. Also, the image files out of the camera need to be  FITS format to perform the debayer but you can save the final stacked image out of DSS in TIFF format to allow you to stretch in post-processing. If you save them as PNG files then the post-processing won't work correctly. ;)

First off, Debayer settings in DSS:

• Open DSS, in the menu down the left hand side go to Options > RAW/FITS DDP Settings to open a new window.
  • Click the FITS Files tab
  • Make sure there's a tick in the box for "Monochrome 16 bit FITS files are RAW files created by a DSLR or a colour CMOS camera".
  • In the drop-down menu below the tick box, choose "Generic RGGB" for the camera and leave everything else as default.
  • Click "Apply" at the bottom of the window to save these settings.

Now to get shot of the green cast on the final image:

• Click Options > Settings > Stacking Settings to open a new window.
  • On the "Light" tab, click on the "RGB Channels Background Calibration" link and make sure there's a tick next to "RGB Channels Background Calibration".
  • Now click "Options" under "RGB Channels Background Calibration" and choose Calibration Method = Rational and RGB Background Calibration Method = Minimum

It looks complicated because I've described each click but it won't take you long to change these settings. ;)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

First off, Debayer settings in DSS:

• Open DSS, in the menu down the left hand side go to Options > RAW/FITS DDP Settings to open a new window.
  • Click the FITS Files tab
  • Make sure there's a tick in the box for "Monochrome 16 bit FITS files are RAW files created by a DSLR or a colour CMOS camera".
  • In the drop-down menu below the tick box, choose "Generic RGGB" for the camera and leave everything else as default.
  • Click "Apply" at the bottom of the window to save these settings.

Now to get shot of the green cast on the final image:

• Click Options > Settings > Stacking Settings to open a new window.
  • On the "Light" tab, click on the "RGB Channels Background Calibration" link and make sure there's a tick next to "RGB Channels Background Calibration".
  • Now click "Options" under "RGB Channels Background Calibration" and choose Calibration Method = Rational and RGB Background Calibration Method = Minimum

It looks complicated because I've described each click but it won't take you long to change these settings

Martin, Thank you so much. This has worked perfectly. I find DSS slightly unintuitive, but following your instructions the images now look so much better with no green issues. 

When I first found the green issue I tried using Google and found several posts describing the issue but none that gave such simple and direct instructions on how to resolve. I must say it seems slightly odd to me that Zwo sell a camera that costs the best part of £1K without giving explicit instructions on how to get colour balanced images. I even tried there own stacking program and it produced the green background. 

Now just need the cloud and mist to lift so I can get out.

Again many thanks 

Ian  

Edited by IDM
typo
  • Like 1