Narrowband

Awful motor noise on EQ3 Pro motors...help / advice needed please

dazzystar

I must admit I'm shocked if they feel  poorly aligned gearing and gears that barely mesh is acceptable and "normal parameters".  But if that is from the importers (OVL) then there is little redress as even if you could claim on the warranty, the retailer wouldn't be able to return it to the distributor as in their eyes the product is within operation limits.

However this would also back up ONIKKINEN comments above.  The only suggestion I can offer is for you to do some fettling to try and make the gears mesh better, but it sounds like there is nothing much you can do for the noise of the motors 

• Like 1

Yes, it's a great way of saying that as long as it functions it's fine and operating within normal tolerances and therefore not a warranty issue. If I told my customers that we wouldn't have a business or money to buy astronomy equipment. Needless to say, it is what it is.

My EQ5 Pro was built pretty poorly also, it’s sad really. Although it was expensive to me, it’s not expensive in mount world. 

Guess I should have returned to FLO (not FLO’s fault, it’s Skywatcher’s)… but waited ages for it in the first place. 

So I stripped it all and rebuilt it, was a little nervous at first but it’s pretty straight forward. Everything then aligned up pretty well. Just dont rush… and get some better grease than the chewing gum SW use. 

Lots of videos out there to help. I followed an MP Astro one. 

We don't know if the original owner had his fingers in there. It does happen.
However, it also happens that mass produced mounts are sometimes thrown together, rather than assembled.

Long ago I made it a policy to inspect any motorised mount I bought. New or used.
Some were fine. Some benefited from a bit of adjustment. Others were just never going to be that good.

Looking at the videos, I think this mount can be improved with a little care in adjustment.

Hope it goes well, David.

Thanks for the replies guys. I never expect something essentially mechanical never needing a bit of TLC here and there but the build quality isn't great. It's not an expensive product in comparison to others out there but still a huge investment for many people. IMHO SW should at the very least, produce some form of tutorial videos to help people 'service' their products. 

The gear alignment does look like it needs fettling.  It couldn't be that the motor assemblies need to be swapped over? 😀 Or did the previous owner fit the wrong upgrade kit??

It is impossible to quantify the motor noise from a video recording, unless there is a side-by-side comparison.  But I was surprised by the level of noise my  EQ-5 Synscan upgrade made when doing a fast slew, compared with my Celestron GoTo mounts.  Otherwise the EQ-5 Synscan works OK (but I put it together myself. 🙂).

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
Speculation about upgrade kit.