Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Decent spotting scope for terrestrial use

Hi all, I was asked to give a recommendation for a decent spotting scope for  use from the deck of a house. Think watching ships etc from a distance, views of the moon and planets would be a bonus. I was looking at something like this  https://www.odysseymagazine.com/celestron-c90-review/ or this https://www.camera.ie/products/celestron-landscout-scope-20x60x80. Tripod obviously needed for both. Open to any suggestions. Budget is £900 but would be willing to double it if it's worth it.

Regards,

Richard. 

If you want it to double as terrestrial and planetary scope - then I guess 102mm Maksutov is a fair choice?

Either than or 80mm ED refractor.

ED refractor will cost more but will allow for wider field of view / lower magnification. Otherwise maksutov + 45° amici prism is very good option, it will be better on luna/planets, however, you'll struggle to get below around x40 magnification with it.

Get good zoom eyepiece to go with it and there is your spotter.

Pair it with nice alt az mount - maybe zero

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/scopetech-mount-zero.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C90  is a good shout.   I really liked mine.  

Pair it with a SW AZ-GTI and then a decent tripod  and you can then start to use it across terrestrial and astronomical objects.   You are probably still under budget as well, so maybe even a decent red-dot finder and second-hand camera body / good eyepiece depending on preference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd go with an ED refractor for daytime use.  CATs yield low contrast in daytime usage as well as really weird out of focus highlights for bird watching thanks to their central obstruction.  Non-ED refractors have so much unfocused violet and far red that the view is again low contrast.  Daytime features are much lower in contrast than nighttime features.  A ship on the horizon is much like a comet on the horizon at sunset.  It is very low in contrast.  You need a high contrast scope to pick either out from the murk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi 

I do a lot of terrestrial viewing using astronomy telescopes. I would totally agree with others who recommended a basic 80ED doublet such as the Skywatcher version mounted on something simple  like a Vixen PortaMount. It’s also great for first time viewing the moon, planets etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd also go for a small apo refractor in this situation for the high quality views it can deliver as well as the convenience of a relatively compact and rugged package that shouldn't ever require you to worry about things like collimation. Pair it with a zoom eyepiece and a suitable mount and you've got a scope that can be left permanently set up to grab a view of something interesting at a moment's notice.

I've got a 60mm refractor which I keep permanently mounted to a Scopetech Mount Zero on an old but sturdy Manfrotto tripod. The Scopetech is a superb mount for this kind of dual-use setup with its simplicity and light weight, but it also gives very steady views and has the convenience of being able to instantly swap between using the slow motion controls and just turning the mount by hand so it only takes seconds to get lined up on a target. Only downside is that it's not cheap, but a mount like that should give many years of enjoyment and is a good investment if your budget can stretch to it.

My little scope is a Takahashi FS-60CB and I have an extender module for it so I can use it in either a 355mm f/5.9 or a 600mm f/10 configuration. With an 8-24mm zoom eyepiece I get a magnification range of around 15-45x or 25-75x which are both very useful, with the former being better suited to the winter months due to there being less light, and the latter giving that bit more reach when the days get brighter in spring and summer. If you get an 80mm scope then the larger aperture allows for proportionally higher magnifications while still enjoying a reasonably bright image so equivalent ranges would be 20-60x and 33-100x.

It's worth noting that while an f/10 optic is practical at 60mm, it's a bit too long a focal ratio when you get to 80mm due to the resulting size and weight of the instrument which would make it a bit unwieldy for use as a spotting scope. A decent f/6 to f/7 ED doublet should fit your needs perfectly.

Edited by Andrew_B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you’re not wanting to lug the scope around a lot then the astro refractor will do a better job and allow more eyepiece options than a dedicated spotter. I like wide field views and avoid zooms, though I have the Baader one and use it occasionally. Carrying a few extra eyepieces is a little concern if you’re carrying an astro refractor. With the 2” diagonal you can use eyepieces with focal lengths from around 40mm down to 6mm or so. The zooms range is a good start.
I think the vixen takes the synta rail mount which the scope seems to come with (?) so no additional adapters needed. My refractor has a “foot”’that has camera threads in, so I need either a shirt synta rail or a tripod head adapter plate to use.

I hope you’ll  enjoy the views, 

Peter

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

That is rather decent combination.

As far as I can see, scope comes with rings and dovetail bar and that is all you need to be able to mount it to that mount.

All is included to get you started.

• Like 2

Just one point spotting scopes are sealed and to a good degree waterproof for use in damp or even wet conditions. 

Astronomical scopes with changeable eyepiece are certainly not.

Might be worth considering depending on your use. 

Regards Andrew 

• Like 2

Hi 

You definitely have enough there to get you more than started!! However, before you order I would recommend getting a 45degree diagonal from the same supplier for terrestrial viewing as it will enable you to view right way up and left to right ( great for ship spotting & other targets ). I would also suggest that you only need 1.25” diagonals, which will work with your Baader Zoom & any other eyepieces you’re likely to use with your new scope in the future 

• Like 3

Its hard to find a decent terrestrial spotter, I have been looking for one for years, The frac idea is OK as long as you dont mind being poked in the eye whenever you adjust focus and the current crop of correct image diagonals are not that good in my opinion unless you spend big. I do have the C90 and it gets close to ideal with a bias towards Lunar etc but does loose contrast in daylight. 

Alan

• Like 1

Nikon monarch 82ed-a or the meopta 82 S2 both have very good following and can be adapted to astro eyepieces. The advice seems to be to try before you buy as even the big brands have been known to sell lemons (spotters aren’t used at extreme power and so optical defects are harder to spot).

Peter

• Like 2

On 18/12/2021 at 18:40, Joe G said:

Hi 

I do a lot of terrestrial viewing using astronomy telescopes. I would totally agree with others who recommended a basic 80ED doublet such as the Skywatcher version mounted on something simple  like a Vixen PortaMount. It’s also great for first time viewing the moon, planets etc

I've tried using my Skywatcher 80ed as a spotter and it really a bit too long when rotating around the axis - I've also used my ZS61 which is easier to use. It's ok for occasional use, but at some point I will buy a dedicated spotting scope instead. Weather sealing and a bit more rugged protection are attractive.

There are a number of spotting scopes that take standard 1.25" eyepieces (and some that are completely modular), so it is possible to get flexibility. Some examples are:

• Celestron Regal M2 80ED (£650 )
  • Pentax PF80 EDA (approx £800, plus eyepiece)
  • SVbony SV406P ED (approx £310)

The last one looks very similar to the Celestron Regal, except the dual focus is on top of the scope instead of the right hand side (which is much better if you are left-handed!)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

There are a number of spotting scopes that take standard 1.25" eyepieces (and some that are completely modular), so it is possible to get flexibility. Some examples are:

TS has a range of these as well, including 65mm, 80mm and 100mm

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8489_TS-Optics-Optics-Spotting-Scope-BW65Z--16-48x65-mm---1-25--interchangeable-eyepieces.html

• Like 1

Another vote for Kowa. I have a tsn-883 and love it. 510mm FL and 88mm aperture. Kowa also supply an adapter to allow 1.25” eyepieces, shown here. It quite happily takes 150x mag. Though swapping eyepieces is a bit of a faff, you have to unscrew and loosen some hidden Allen-grubs, as opposed to the native bayonet-fitting for their own eyepieces (which are also very good).

Magnus

F5F5003B-E9BF-4D8E-9810-F932DAFA301D.thumb.jpeg.5fd3c66f25842238c544da39c5a5f8bc.jpeg

• Like 5

I like to use my AT60ED for terrestrial viewing with a 45 degree erect image diagonal.  The little scope is quite compact and has a very smooth focuser and crisp optics.   The AT60ED is often referred to at the "Tiny titan" I also use it for wide field imaging with the optional field flattener.  

AT60ED-mini scope.JPG

AT60ED on AP900.JPG

• Like 2