Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Xterminator error

Hi SGL

I finally upgraded my laptop to Win10, and it restored all the progams. I can now log back into PS and Lightroom.

So I decided to install the Star Xterminator, but I m getting errors.

Has anyone seem this before? I was trying linear and non linear images, TIFFs and FITs, but I get the same error. Even the file name has the underline for the spaces.

*** Error: File I/O Error: Invalid or empty file name

image.png.8ebe5fa30cb7edac667e337abd68aaf7.png

Not seen that but I am getting an error trying to load the AI 6 version, I've not figured out yet & can only run it with AI 5. I'm on a Mac but it looks like you're behind a version. Are you on the latest PI release that has it installed from the repo now?

PixInsight Module Version History

Version Date Comments
1.1.0 8 Nov 2021 Necessary for compatibility with AI version 6. Uses PixInsight's update repository system for installation. AI files are now installed as part of this process.
1.0.0 8 Oct 2021 Initial release

21 hours ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Not seen that but I am getting an error trying to load the AI 6 version, I've not figured out yet & can only run it with AI 5. I'm on a Mac but it looks like you're behind a version. Are you on the latest PI release that has it installed from the repo now?

PixInsight Module Version History

Version Date Comments
1.1.0 8 Nov 2021 Necessary for compatibility with AI version 6. Uses PixInsight's update repository system for installation. AI files are now installed as part of this process.
1.0.0 8 Oct 2021 Initial release

yes I just downloaded the latest yesterday. 1.8.8.11

23 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Hi SGL

I finally upgraded my laptop to Win10, and it restored all the progams. I can now log back into PS and Lightroom.

So I decided to install the Star Xterminator, but I m getting errors.

Has anyone seem this before? I was trying linear and non linear images, TIFFs and FITs, but I get the same error. Even the file name has the underline for the spaces.

*** Error: File I/O Error: Invalid or empty file name

image.png.8ebe5fa30cb7edac667e337abd68aaf7.png

Ok I got it working. The instructions say you can use any folder to save the AI download. So I choose Pixinsight folder to have it all in one place.

Seems that wont work. I downloaded it again and just selected the Downloads folder, and this time it downloaded and the Process works in PI.

Tom.

I find Pixinsight has the odd random bug with various updates. Scripts that worked before suddenly stop working, PCC works on previous image, fails to solve on next image. Usually solves itself with another update or 2.

Back on topic though, how is SX doing now? My free trial is over and I didn't purchase. The first version worked well at removing stars but left too smooth of a remnant compared to the background beyond the star. Have things been improved in this area?

Edited by david_taurus83

So updates are handled by PI if the repo has been added. I was using AI v5 & v6 in previous PI version. V6 does less smoothing of edges. Since I updated  PI to .11 I can no longer run it with AI v6 as it stops & asks me to download the AI. The AI files are already in the PI library! I’ve also tried selecting another copy of it from the old install. Yesterday there was also an update adding AI v7 which downloads to the library. This works fine.. it’s better for galaxy cores etc. I think you need to experiment with which AI version you choose depending on the target you’re working on. I’m still scratching my head working out why AI v5 isn’t recognised on my system. It selects ok same as the others.