Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stella Lyra 8" classical Cassegrain

neil phillips

Second try with the 8. (actually 7.3) classical Cassegrain. Much better levels but still wobbly seeing. IR685 EQ5 Mount ZWO 178 M. Wanted a hi res scope that was easy to setup and a bit quicker than my 10" Newtonian. Kind of Maksutov resolution. But Newtonian performance. Great scopes from Flo

Various reductions in size 

sgl 100.png 90.png

clavius cass sgl 80.png

gasendi 100.tif 95.png

zzzzzzzzz last.png

258731045_871668786885760_4301210184366123569_n.jpg.e85ac4252de7cf41db5962140d1571da.jpg

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Looking forward to trying some lunar imaging using the ZWO ASI290MM when the moon isn’t as full. 🙂

BDF2CAC9-6C09-4A1D-99F6-B83F9347C56A.jpeg

About time John. Eager to see how your cass performs with the 290 m Should be a good combo. I am a bit oversampled here with the 178m But you will be slightly less so. If i remember correctly pixels a little bit smaller than the 178m 

You wont need a barlow. Its great to get these powers unbarlowed quite cool actually. A bit of glass out of the way wont hurt. Just mirrors to camera. About as direct as is possible 

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Will be keeping it simple at first but seeing if the 290 does as well as hoped. Will also try the 462MC for comparison. 🤔

Its what i need to try too. ( the 462c) was going to try tonight. But kept trying to coax better shots out, as the scope cooled and the moon was getting higher. Think it was the right decision. Changing cameras before i had got better shots. would likely have threw me even more.  its not easy getting focus. without  a motorised focuser. The scopes focusing on screen is soooooooooo longggggggggggg  you find yourself keep turning and turning.. Its so broad and deep hard to know when to stop. some scopes are so shallow its actually easier to see in and out. with this its in. In some more. And more. hey when do i stop.  Wonder if theres a motor focus for this scope. Dont really want to have to buy a new focuser. it does me.