Narrowband

Book project: Discovering Deep Sky Objects

Ags

I had a chance last night around 1.30 am to test the book a bit. I tried to track down M51 and M63, which I have never seen from a city or without goto. The book certainly got me on the right locations, but the sky was too milky even at that late hour. I could only see the slightest hints not even definite enough to claim averted vision. But at least I was certain I was looking in exactly the right location.

More satisfactorily, I managed to hunt down Y CVn "La Superba" which had eluded me before on a few sessions last month. No difficulties tonight with the aid of the book. No color to be seen in the finder scope, but a definite sparking red in the ZS66.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 3

Trying different labeling styles for the DSOs. Either callout lines from the side of the diagram, or more conventional labels close to the DSO.

newLabels.thumb.png.1ef43532147ef2f5a9b9838eee65fba6.png

I find the callout lines clutter the diagram, but at night the diagram is easier to read with a torch - you can find everything by scanning down the left side of the page. Labels next to the DSOs can be less cluttered overall, but very difficult for crowded regions like the Virgo cluster. 

image.png.a0981a199a4a94ed831e57bf39f67930.png

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2

With the book in front of me, I rather agree. I will enable the new look for all diagrams, but will need to spend some time fine tuning the label placement.

• Like 2

Here is an example of the compactified 8,6,4,2 format for the bortle charts.

image.thumb.png.df9dc249165aa57926fc8d647f6794e0.png

Actually, I think I will change it to 9,7,5,3 - trying to decide if skies are bortle 1 or 2 is a luxury problem, much better to focus on the polluted end of the scale.

image.thumb.png.6ed594c914042bd87265a83c6611dc77.png

Edited by Ags
  • Like 4

Hi every body,

I was on holidays on the Loire river during 2 weeks ; i only observe during 4 nigths, the other was or cloudy either light polluted.

About the Bortle pages : as these are of common usage, not depending of the observation type ( DSO, double, meteor,…) why not edit a Bortle scale booklet with all the different levels from 1 to 9 ?  The 9 different levels will be an help to show the effect of liggt pollution to nom astronomy minded person.

"In addition to the original Ursa Minor, Octans, Orion and Scorpius, I now also cover Crux, Cassiopeia, Pegasus and Leo. This covers the poles, a mid-latitude constellation for every season, and two prominent circumpolar constellations (Crux and Cassiopeia). "

Obviously not every constellation is necessary , only the every season main ones.

Like this it will be a complete help for observing guide.

But it is your book, do it aa you like and even like this , we have to thank you for these opus.

Edited by le Nordiste
  • Like 2

After a few weeks of incorporating edits and suggestions for improvements, I have uploaded a new version of the PDF and have also made the spiral-bound book available for purchase from Lulu. In addition, the info page on the book with the PDF download and links to Lulu is served from my new domain discovering-astronomy.eu.

https://discovering-astronomy.eu/discovering_dsos.html

When buying the domain, I noticed that the vendor was offering discovering-astrology.eu - at a higher price!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Ags said:

After a few weeks of incorporating edits and suggestions for improvements, I have uploaded a new version of the PDF and have also made the spiral-bound book available for purchase from Lulu. In addition, the info page on the book with the PDF download and links to Lulu is served from my new domain discovering-astronomy.eu.

When buying the domain, I noticed that the vendor was offering discovering-astrology.eu - at a higher price!

Thanks @Ags, really appreciate your hard work! 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ags said:

Thanks Agnes. Although I was concerned Discovering Double Stars was behind an explicit content warning requiring date of birth entry. What's in the latest edition?! 😆

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...