Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1848 the Soul Nebula in SHO and HaR_OiiiG_OiiiB

Laurin Dave

The Soul Nebula (well half of it) in Cassiopeia in Hubble Palette and HaR_OiiG_OiiiB.  SHO data captured in October and RGB last Friday, equipment used Esprit150/SX46 for Ha and RGB and Esprit100/ASI1600 for Oiii.  Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop, Ha and Oiii added to Red and Green/Blue using Blend mode lighten in Photoshop on a 50:50 mix of Starless/Starry data which I find gives nicer transitions around the stars.  SHO image created using starless Ha, Sii and Oiii images with starry Ha used as Luminance, RGB stars then added to the SHO image by using blend mode lighten to add a channel split and black clipped (so only the stars are included)  RGB image to each of the SHO channels.  The original SHO image was then used as Luminance to merge the stars transitions. 

I'll get the other half next year..

Thanks for looking...   

Dave  

Soul_SHO_HaR_OiiiG_OiiiB_SBSFinal_13Dec21.thumb.jpg.fe9fc184856520c8a5e5d338e835c6ab.jpg

• Like 24

• 1 month later...

And here it is...  I did! although much earlier in the year than I had expected thanks to the  three clear nights at New Moon in early January..   the full Soul Nebula in SHO and HaR_OiiiG_OiiiB..

Thanks for looking 

Dave

Soul_Nebula_SHO_FInal_21Jan21_50pc.thumb.jpg.8b0d0addd56ba7b63f583cb26fa2f5eb.jpg

Soul_Nebula_HaR_OiiiG_OiiiB_FInal_21Jan21_50pc.thumb.jpg.9acddf29d4e47963bdf7a2c38f297bd3.jpg

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Like 19

10 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

And here it is...  I did! although much earlier in the year than I had expected thanks to the  three clear nights at New Moon in early January..   the full Soul Nebula in SHO and HaR_OiiiG_OiiiB..

I was expecting something to appear much later than this - maybe even winter 2022!  Fantastic final image.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tomato said:

A stunning Soul Nebula Dave and you most certainly cannot see the join.

May I ask what total integration time does this image represent?

Thanks Steve..  per panel its 1hr each RGB 8hrs Ha, 6hrs each Oiii and Sii so 46 hrs total through two scopes

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like them both a lot Dave! Both have excellent qualities. But personally I never really liked green in AP (just a hang-up I guess) and I am not great fan of magenta either, so it made me wonder what a mix of your images would look like, so I made a 50:50 mix. Hope you forgive me for messing with them, but I think it is kind of nice looking. No idea what the colour patette should be called.

Cheers, Göran

Soul_Nebula_SHO_FInal_21Jan21_50pcMIX.jpg

Edited by gorann

12 hours ago, gorann said:

Like them both a lot Dave! Both have excellent qualities. But personally I never really liked green in AP (just a hang-up I guess) and I am not great fan of magenta either, so it made me wonder what a mix of your images would look like, so I made a 50:50 mix. Hope you forgive me for messing with them, but I think it is kind of nice looking. No idea what the colour patette should be called.

Cheers, Göran

Hi Goran, Interesting..  maybe call it the Hole Palette :)

Dave

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Haha 1

Excellent images.,  personally I think once colour balanced if there is a hint of green in an image, it's better with than without as it often adds a bit of 3D element to the image which looks very flat when taken out. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, carastro said:

Excellent images.,  Persoinally I think once colour balanced if there is a hint of green in an image, it's better with than without as it often adds a bit of 3D element to the image which looks very flat when taken out. 

Carole 

Thank you Carole, clearly I agree with leaving a touch of green in as I do think it adds to the image and after all it is between blue and yellow.  When I first started doing SHO I blasted them with scnr or HLVG to get rid of the green and the result was as you say rather flat.

Dave

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Thank you Carole, clearly I agree with leaving a touch of green in as I do think it adds to the image and after all it is between blue and yellow.  When I first started doing SHO I blasted them with scnr or HLVG to get rid of the green and the result was as you say rather flat.

Dave

I totally agree. Start taking the greens away and you end up with what looks more like a bicolour image. 

• Like 1

My feeling is that blue can help equally well as green with the depth of an NB image, so I rather go for red, yellow and blue, than red, green and blue. But that is me.

Edited by gorann