Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron CGEM II

stargazer32864

I was thinking of ordering a Celestron CGEM II mount for my Astro-Physics Stowaway. The reason why is that Celestron makes an auto-alignment scope for this mount. I don't know anything about computerized mounts as my experience has been with Alt-Azi and Dobs. What attracted me to this was the autoalignment scope. It says all you have to do is turn it on and watch it go. I assume I need to make sure the mount is level first. So my question is...Has anyone had any experience with this mount and possibly, the auto-alignment scope?

Thanks~Robin

Hi Robin,my advice is don't...look elsewhere... eq6r pro is a much better mount straight out of the box where some of the issues that you will face in buying the cgem have been ironed out... or ioptron.. not sure on your budget 

From your description sounds like they added a starsense  system( which I'm my option was another failed bit of useless equpimement) 

I've just searched the new cgem, it says it's starsense compatible,  don't think it automatically comes with it  so it be another added £300 

3 star alignment doesn't take that long to do and you and if you're planning to plug it into a laptop then  something like APT or NINA for plate solving aligns it within pixels

Edited by newbie alert
Added info

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to so late in responding. I think I will order the SkyWatcher EQ6R Pro. It has been highly recommended and it seems there is a lot of video help on YouTube. Now the only problem is that everyone in the U.S.A. is out of stock of everything it seems. I found one website that stated that the mounts won't be back in stock until May 2022.

I hope you don't have the same problem in the U.K.

Thanks~Robin