Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

iPolar - new software version v2.60 - nov 10th 2021

Shimrod

There is a new version of the software available for this polar alignment camera. Notable in the fixes below is an improved virtual pole calculation and display. Like a few people on here, I've had different alignment results when comparing iPolar to software like Sharpcap and not known which to believe. I'm looking forward to trying it out should I ever get a clear night!

V2.60  November  10,  2021

• Improved  virtual  pole  calculation and  display
  • Other  optimization
  • Now only support  64  bit  Windows  operation  system

It looks like I won't be testing this - my iPolar camera does not seem to be working anymore. It shows as a device in windows and the software appears to connect, but then I get a 'failed to connect message'. Testing in the windows camera app, it seems the problem occurs when trying to read an image from the sensor.

edit: I've just checked and it is four days outside the warranty period!

Edited by Shimrod

I have the same issue with my iPolar and windows 10. I got it working again for a short while by accepting all the driver updates in win 10 notifications but it's stopped again and nothing I try seems to work. I've since bought a used polemaster at a decent price. 

Graeme 

On 13/12/2021 at 12:26, Shimrod said:

It looks like I won't be testing this - my iPolar camera does not seem to be working anymore. It shows as a device in windows and the software appears to connect, but then I get a 'failed to connect message'. Testing in the windows camera app, it seems the problem occurs when trying to read an image from the sensor.

edit: I've just checked and it is four days outside the warranty period!

As an update on this, FLO are going to have a look at the camera for me (and even gave me a postage paid returns label). Good Service!

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Hi Shimrod, any joy with the device?

Cheers,

Steve

FLO couldn't fix it he camera and ioptron wanted to inspect the camera so it had to go back to China. An order for a replacement camera was raised so I didn't have to wait for the repair, but they have not yet come back into stock. Still some COVID fallout and stocking issues - I'll be packing telescopes away shortly and they won't come out again until September.

Hi Shimrod, I'm sorry to hear the problem continues with the iPolar. I do hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction. My interest springs from a recent problem I had with a defective iPolar/USB cable I documented in my SGL thread about my GEM28 mount. The new replacement iPolar has experienced failure to connect on two nights but worked on others with the v2.6.05 software. I appreciate iOptron have brought out new manual (in January) that contains some changed instructions for using the v2.6 software. I appologize if you are aware of this.

3339_iPolarOperationManual_v2.6.pdf

Thanks once again for your reply.

Cheers,
Steve

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Thanks Graeme for this, makes me wonder if it's a camera fault, compatibility issue or a software glitch. Did you buy a replacement iPolar or go for an alternative solution?

Cheers,
Steve

I ended up getting a used Polemaster and it works perfectly. Strangely it has a software 'glitch' on windows 10 where I have to be running something else in the background for the PM software to refresh quickly enough to be useful. I just start Stellarium up first but some responses on google suggest running a youtube video in the background. They believe the issue is something in the graphics card software. 

Graeme

• Like 1

Blimy Graeme the things you have to do to overcome a problem from something else. Anyway I'm glad you can use the Pole Master and not lose out on imaging this late on in the season.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by SteveNickolls

On 05/04/2022 at 09:23, SteveNickolls said:

Hi Shimrod, I'm sorry to hear the problem continues with the iPolar. I do hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction. My interest springs from a recent problem I had with a defective iPolar/USB cable I documented in my SGL thread about my GEM28 mount. The new replacement iPolar has experienced failure to connect on two nights but worked on others with the v2.6.05 software. I appreciate iOptron have brought out new manual (in January) that contains some changed instructions for using the v2.6 software. I appologize if you are aware of this.

3339_iPolarOperationManual_v2.6.pdf 1.16 MB · 2 downloads

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve, my problem was slightly different - I could get a connection to the camera, but failed on retrieving and image. I keep my laptop fairly static in terms of software (including Windows updates), so was pretty confident it wasn't a sudden incompatibility issue. I did try the camera with another PC and different software and got the same result each time. 

The supply chain issues are annoying but can't be helped - I've not had too much time (or clear sky) this winter that it has mattered too much. Possibly what worries me more is a few people now all reporting failures with camera.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2022 at 09:23, SteveNickolls said:

3339_iPolarOperationManual_v2.6.pdf 1.16 MB · 4 downloads

Cheers,
Steve

I am receiving my new iPolar camera today, so looking forward to testing it out along with the new software. It's really reached the end of the astro season for me (late nights and work commitments don't mix), but hopefully will have some clear skies at the weekend to see how the new software performs.

• Like 1

The design of the iPolar camera has changed - the camera mount is cylindrical and thinner compared to the original camera. This means the bottom part of the AVX mount adapter is no longer required. However, the rectangular hole in the adapter provided a bit of support for the USB cable into the camera - the new design leaves the cable handing with no support and doesn't feel as secure/ @SteveNickolls if yours is the same I wonder if that is the cause of your USB issues.

The shiny black also highlights all the dust!

ipolar1 - Copy.jpg

ipolar-original.jpg

ipolar AVX mount.jpg

Edited by Shimrod

18 hours ago, Shimrod said:

new design leaves the cable handing with no support and doesn't feel as secure/ @SteveNickolls if yours is the same I wonder if that is the cause of your USB issues.

Hi, I'm pleaeed you now have a replacement unit but understand being now able to trial the iPolar with nights getting darker much later. 

My original iPolar arriving with the GEM28 had the USB port on the end of the unit-

20220304_104133.thumb.jpg.395f16df85d4a8c65913e097da083546.jpg

and I wondered if the forces acting on the USB port and cable when the mount head was rotated helped loosen the connection.

This is how loose the cable was in the iPolar.

The replacement iPolar from FLO had a different connection point (similar to that on the other iPolar I used on my CG-5 mount. The cable now connects into the side of the iPolar.

20220313_112449.thumb.jpg.ec5e03df3dad06879101daad6884cc60.jpg

My recent issue with connecting using v2.6.05 software has led me to download the latest iPolar manual

3339_iPolarOperationManual (1).pdf

and try out the troubleshooting section at the end of the manual. I can confirm that my laptop meets the spec for the iPolar and have downloaded and run the EnvironmentCheck.exe software.

I have yet to struggle through interpreting the manual and build up a procedure that I can follow to test everything works fine with v2.6.05. The process is different from what I have been using in the past and may well resolve the hiccups. Again lack of clear nights to perform polar alignment means I can't be definitive on what works or not.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by SteveNickolls