Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO ASI178MC...is this a decent first camera for DSO astrophotography

dazzystar

Hi Daz,

I have the 178MC and it's an excellent performer if you're looking to do planetary, lunar and solar imaging.

For DSOs (nebulae, galaxies, globular clusters, etc.) however, I'd urge you to look at a cooled camera. The 178MC only comes as non-cooled and would yield significant thermal noise when pushed for long exposures.

If you want to stick with ZWO, the 183MC Pro is their least expensive cooled option and as luck would have it, I have one of those myself! It too is excellent, but not without its caveats (strong amp glow, needs a dew band if you live in high humidity locales, not the best QE or full well). Still, for 900 buckaroos, it's excellent value for the money.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not wedded to ZWO it's just that it appears they are used by most people. I'm new to the hobby so welcome any other brands which offer similar quality and functionality and perhaps for less money! Cooled cameras are way out of my price league at the moment, even used models!!!

I started with the ASI178MC & it was good to practice (esp for clusters) but cooled cameras really do make a difference (particularly for DSOs).

The 178MC has a small chip so you may not get the benefit of the full FOV the Evo50 gives.  Are you using a flattener with the Evo50?  If not, then there is quite a bit of curvature so a small chip won't actually be a bad thing b/c you'll only get the centre of the FOV.  If you are using a flattener, then if its the Starizona flattener, that can handle DSLRs so in that case maybe just use a Canon?

Stellarmate's image module is compatible w Canons (I think).

In fact if you don't have a flattener, I'd be inclined to go for a Starizona flattener + DSLR combination while saving for a cooled camera.  (If you already have a Canon, that route is a lot cheaper b/c the flattener is way less expensive than an 178MC - you may even be able to get a flattener and 2nd hand astro-modded Canon for the price of a new 178MC?)

Hope that helps.

I spotted this on a FB page, taken through a 150mm reflector with a non-cooled 178MC camera.  I ran the original image by Peter (top) through PS just to remove the green cast and denoise it (bottom) but it looks pretty ok imho.

CREDIT: Peter Coates

May be an image of sky

May be an image of sky

Edited by tooth_dr

I use ASI 178 mono cameras for exclusively imaging small targets with a 6” APO refractor. They have been retrofitted with Peltier coolers to run them at 0-5 deg C, principally to keep them at a constant temp to aid dark current calibration as there is considerable amp glow with extended exposure times (e.g. 3 mins). 

I wouldn’t say they are a great all round camera for DSO imaging, the small FOV is one drawback, but they work OK in this application. 

I think the Horsehead image posted by @tooth_dr above is a reasonable representation of what can be achieved with an uncooled OSC version.

902338C6-2C6F-4F6A-8461-D4AE70C1F46C.thumb.jpeg.8869ee7a6039432427cb5b1ba84d8343.jpegD2E8C030-9560-471F-9C05-7AC968AD51D2.thumb.jpeg.684f8557e916c35706343917e586d4ba.jpegD4B3F5EB-A1E8-4B3D-A129-F1EE298419B3.thumb.jpeg.56c86d8fe0ec6563ac57e52ee4ed21e7.jpeg