Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using a DSLR Camera

Andy350

I had some luck with using the Phone mount adapter last night, I was able to take a RAW image of the moon, sent it to Elements and turn down the exposure, I will post up shortly.  I'm now thinking of mounting the DLSR and giving that a go when the clouds move away.

Am I correct in saying, when using the DSLR, the camera is used in prime only, so you lose the ability to get closer to objects, whereby the phone can zoom, plus that looks through the eyepiece.   Or is the fact that all objects are so far away it doesn't really make much of a difference?

Yes, that right, you don't zoom with Astrophotography.  

Bear in mind that planets are bright and small.  I always found them too much so to image them with a DSLR. 

A DSLR especially a modified one is a good entry level to Astrophotography, hower much depends on your mount and telescope as to the results you will get.

Carole 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, shropshire lad said:

Are you going to use the Dslr with a telescope or a camera lens?

The only way I can mount is without the lens, I think this is called prime.  I don't know of another way to mount the camera.

A lot will depend on which telescope you have, there are limits to the amount of "magnification" is usable, and whether focus will be achievable.

You can attach via a Barlow Lens, these come in 2X to 5X flavours.

Or "old school" Eyepiece Projection, like you were using for your phone.

A short focal length eyepiece is inserted into this adapter:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/tele-camera-adaptor-for-eyepiece-projection-astrophotography.html

Michael

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

A lot will depend on which telescope you have, there are limits to the amount of "magnification" is usable, and whether focus will be achievable.

Or "old school" Eyepiece Projection, like you were using for your phone.

A short focal length eyepiece is inserted into this adapter:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/tele-camera-adaptor-for-eyepiece-projection-astrophotography.html

Michael

Thanks Michael.  This would work.  I suppose I should look at using without and see how that goes.  I know I can image the moon in prime.  I am using a 6" Dobsonian.

Don't use a Barlow for DS imaging it will increase your focal ratio and make it too slow and take ages to capture data.  would be OK for planetary I guess but as said I have never used a DSLR for planetary.

For DS imaging the normal practice is to use a Field flattener or Focal reducer to attach to the scope and you'll also need a T ring for your DSLr to attach to the flattener/focal reducer.  

Carole