Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Reducer removal (help!)

I swapped a 2” visual back on my C11 with a focal reducer last night when out in the cold and this morning I can’t for the life of me get the reducer off. It’s not crossed threads but feels locked solid. Any thoughts? Don’t want to take a hammer or blow touch to it…

... or if you don't have any of the above, wrap some rubber bands around it for a bit more purchase.

Careful not to use too much force in gripping as you don't want to damage the circular integrity of the reducer, that the beauty of a strap wrench.

One adapter that had me beat in terms of mechanical force, freed itself up by being in the kitchen with the gentle warming and cooling of the room. Took a few days though !!

Thanks all. I’ll perhaps let it defrost (it was very cold last night) and pick up a strap wrench from screwfix tomorrow to try. The reducer comes in two parts. The bit with the lens fortunately screwed out easily enough. What’s left is an extension adapter thing on the SCT thread. 

Although it's no longer needed here, mousepads can also work near miracles. Place it upside down (non-slip side up), hold it firmly in place, push the frozen part onto it with gentle pressure, and rotate. The mousepad provides so much friction that in many cases the part comes right off and more than once I've been able to remove stuck filters or extension rings this way. Alternatively you can wrap the mousepad around the part and see if that provides enough grip. I always have a mousepad in my astro goodies bag for just this purpose.

Jarno

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Trentend said:

Thanks all. I’ll perhaps let it defrost (it was very cold last night) and pick up a strap wrench from screwfix tomorrow to try. The reducer comes in two parts. The bit with the lens fortunately screwed out easily enough. What’s left is an extension adapter thing on the SCT thread. 

Temperature is often the issue in cases like this. If the scope was cold and the reducer was warmer then the metal of the focuser tube will have contracted relative to the reducer. When you thread the reducer on, that small change in size can be enough to allow you to tighten it further than normal so when it cools down to the same temperature as the scope it contracts onto the focuser tube and the threads lock tight.

Differential heating can solve the problem and it sounds like you used that method when you blasted it with the hairdryer. The important thing in this situation is that you want to try and heat the reducer (or whatever else is screwed tight) while not heating the focuser tube - another method would be to use a hand warmer or microwaveable heating pad applied to the surface.