SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Back in the Deep End, Battle Hill Northumberland

scarp15

Ascending onto Battle Hill and above any mist formations in the valley, the moon and Jupiter greeted my arrival crisp and pristine in the  S/W sky. The Milky Way could still be determined and occasional meteorites caught my attention.

Emerging S/E, there was plenty to be getting on with. Nothing new yet reacquainting with deep sky objects, the first time at a dark sky location since mid April.

Eagerly I began the session indulging with open clusters, such as the lovely sight of M38 pairing with NGC 1907. Following M37, M36, moving through the Double Cluster and Stock 2 sweeping along Cassiopeia for NGC 663, NGC 7789, NGC 659, M013, many more besides to arrive at the delicate delight that is NGC 7789; Caroline's Rose. The Pleiades was repeatedly visited, later on revealing subtle outer wisps that constituent for the Pleiades Bubble. Much later M35 integrated with NGC 2158 another fine sight.

Despite the moon light, brighter emission and planetary nebulae were quite attainable. The filter of the night (I did get to use all three) was my old Lumicon O-III filter. Testing the conditions NGC 281 the Pacman Nebula in Cassiopeia responded clearly. Moving across to Auriga IC410 the Tadpole Nebula, a facet of the Flaming Star nebula, also responded clear. In Perseus the slightly quirky emission nebula NGC 1491 the Fossil Footprint was definitively located. A selection of Planetary Nebula smiled brightly such as NGC 7662, Blue Snowball, M76 Little Dumbbell and NGC 2392, Eskimo Nebula. As the moon gradually set, M82, M81 the only galaxies observed on this occasion, were bright and distinct.

An aim this evening had been the Heart and Soul Nebula within Cassiopeia. Nothing particularly new, I'd visited this region many times and each time detect a displaced trace of nebulosity, particularly around the Heart, such as NGC 896. Although Cassiopeia was   for a time within the 'dob hole', and transparency for much of the time was good, with a light breeze, moonlight made this rather challenging. M42 by contrast was yet rising, gaining in impact with my 7mm DeLite. 

As the moon dropped from view, the breeze ceased and frost had formed on almost everything. An attempt on the California provided nothing really and neither was the Flame visible, moisture build up increasing.  Cloud from the west meant packing up just after 12.30pm. The routine of enjoying a dark sky location, has been very over due, familiarity returning quickly.  Equally, regaining familiarity driving home on white frosted roads along the edge of a forest, vigilant for crossing deer, which not unsurprisingly sprung across my steady path. 

P1110999.JPG

• Like 23

Super report, must have be wonderful through your 14" dob. I was out last night too and much of the stuff I wanted to see was high in the sky - really wished I'd got my Newt out instead of the refractor as overhead is so much easier with a Newt IMO.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RobertI said:

Super report, must have be wonderful through your 14" dob. I was out last night too and much of the stuff I wanted to see was high in the sky - really wished I'd got my Newt out instead of the refractor as overhead is so much easier with a Newt IMO.

Just read your report, forgot about the Crab Nebula, I could had included that certainly. There was a lot of potential overhead last night, I found myself leaning against the car or perched back on my observers chair trying to orientate. 

• Like 1

Great report! There's something very satisfying I find in putting away a frosty dob. Hopefully means you've had a good session. I'd love to get to a dark site again and have a peek at Caroline's Rose among others and have a crack at some nebulae I haven't been able to see at home. The scope looks a lovely setup and nicely accompanied by some green & black eyepieces!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2021 at 14:36, wookie1965 said:

So glad someone got out and viewed some great objects I have not been out for 12 weeks plus really hacked off. 

Great report some great objects and a very nice scope to boot. 

Thanks it is discouraging when there is a significant absence from participating in what you have become passionate for. Yet one good night observing puts all that right. Towards the turn of the year, I hope that you and all of us, can get out to observe  some of those great objects.

• Like 1

Great report, I'm impressed you can get that scope in that car, I should rethink if it's possible to get my vx14 into my Mazda 3!

I was looking at all the targets in the interstellar deep sky atlas (I usually do this when reading reports to help me remember where things are myself) and just noticed they call Caroline's rose Caroline's haystack - but I don't think I've heard it called a haystack before.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2021 at 20:01, Paz said:

Great report, I'm impressed you can get that scope in that car, I should rethink if it's possible to get my vx14 into my Mazda 3!

I was looking at all the targets in the interstellar deep sky atlas (I usually do this when reading reports to help me remember where things are myself) and just noticed they call Caroline's rose Caroline's haystack - but I don't think I've heard it called a haystack before.

With some configuration it ought be possible to slide the VX14 into a Mazda 3. Formally had a Fabia, in which it fitted and for the Note, took along a tape measure to the show room just to be sure; it being a deal breaker. The tube is supported on two foam packaging blocks, which act as a cradle and absorb any road bumps. 

Yes it isn't becoming of a haystack, Rose is totally applicable.

• Like 1