SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M1 Neutron star shock wave

Rodd

The first image  was taken by Hubble.  It reveals the location of the crab pulsar, which is visible as a shock bow, with concentric shock fronts.  An artist has drawn a rather cool looking funnel shapped structure around this area--I don't have the picture, but I have seen it, with the bright ptach being the central opeing which leads to the neutron star.  I can see it, sort of.  But there is no question that the region around the neutron star and several shock fronts can be seen in the Hubble image.  

The second ismage is a crop enlargement of the core of my image taken with the C11Edge on nights of good seeing.   I was amazed to see the same features!--not as well formed, and the outer shock bands are barely visible---but they are visible!  Wow.  I will have to keep at this image to see if I can make things clearer and better.

My image has been enlarged way beyond wht is appropriate, so it terrible from an aesthetical point of view.   But teh features in question are more easilly seen.

Hubble image showing position of neutron star and several shock fronts

d.jpg.da854b72ad47f50d403d72382ca6d500.jpg

My image....

aa.jpg.1d5853502ef076ffe39ab72801cb9761.jpg

Here is a more reasonable scale for my image

aaa.jpg.8da36bb2167f770f4ed10cce3d33be33.jpg

• Like 18

7 hours ago, TakMan said:

I like that - amazing what amateurs can achieve under all that atmosphere! 
👍

Indeed--quite surprising.  Imagine 1/1 seeing from Bortle 1.....

Edited by Rodd

I'm imaging the Crab right now...just came in for a coffee, leaving the kit chugging away when I saw your post.

You've definately caught a hint of it. Very impressive.

Certainly something to check for when I do the processing...

6 hours ago, rl said:

I'm imaging the Crab right now...just came in for a coffee, leaving the kit chugging away when I saw your post.

You've definately caught a hint of it. Very impressive.

Certainly something to check for when I do the processing...

Get lots of data. I want more but this data was taken during good seeing, which I rarely get. I don’t want to add poor data.  If you can get a lot it will show up better.  I imaged this with a 5” refractor and didn’t come close to getting it, so I think aperture helps a lot. Then again seeing was poor then, too so who knows

Edited by Rodd

• Get lots of data. I want more but this data was taken during good seeing, which I rarely get. I don’t want to add poor data.  If you can get a lot it will show up better.  I imaged this with a 5” refractor and didn’t come close to getting it, so I think aperture helps a lot. Then again seeing was poor then, too so who knows

Problem is this is England...Last night was the first night in weeks where it was worth setting up for anything more than a quick look. Transparency was great but the seeing was rubbish. So bad as to cause new threads to appear on this site on just how bad it was. It showed up on PHD2 with guiding errors just over 1 arcsec. It's normally less than half that. 

Anyway, I got 1 hour with a 8" Newt and a Deep Sky filter (OSC) and another hour with a L-Enhance. I should get it processed over the weekend. 

1 hour ago, rl said:

Problem is this is England...Last night was the first night in weeks where it was worth setting up for anything more than a quick look. Transparency was great but the seeing was rubbish. So bad as to cause new threads to appear on this site on just how bad it was. It showed up on PHD2 with guiding errors just over 1 arcsec. It's normally less than half that. 

Anyway, I got 1 hour with a 8" Newt and a Deep Sky filter (OSC) and another hour with a L-Enhance. I should get it processed over the weekend. 

Sounds all to familiar. The weather had been horrible. I am almost ready to sell off my scopes and join DSW

Failed!

I think my image is left-right swapped compared to yours. First attempt with Siril. 8" Newt 1 hour data, Deep Sky filter, QHY183C.

Not enough data; too much noise:

image.png.636aa8819d949d387e637b64e9074add.png

The pulsar is just about there but no clear shock waves! There might be something visible with very low contrast just to the right of the pulsar.

• Stu changed the title to M1 Neutron star shock wave
1 hour ago, rl said:

Failed!

I think my image is left-right swapped compared to yours. First attempt with Siril. 8" Newt 1 hour data, Deep Sky filter, QHY183C.

Not enough data; too much noise:

image.png.636aa8819d949d387e637b64e9074add.png

The pulsar is just about there but no clear shock waves! There might be something visible with very low contrast just to the right of the pulsar.

Gettin’ there!  I see a patch.  Resolution is good. It’s important to use only the best data.  I got lucky with decent seeing over the  entire shoot. I wanted more data too, but all of a sudden seeing deteriorated and it  has not recovered to this day.