Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Whale and Hockey Stick Galaxies

Beyond_Vision

I had the full armoury of kit set up taking images of Comet Lulin on Sunday as it could be the last chance to get it at it's best. Once I had secured enough subs I swung the system around to the Whale and Hockey stick galaxies and spent an hour on them. The next target was going to be the Leo triplet to get some more data. They hadn't crossed the meridian so I set the rig taking some darks and waited. I took my first sub for framing and decided to rotate the CCD to get the same orientation as the last time. I then in a moment of stupity brought on by tiredness loosened the CCD in the nose piece instead of rotating the focuser and lost focus. At this point I decided to call it a day.

So enough rambling here's the Whale and Hockey Stick and a few other faint fuzzies.

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=1092

I had a fantastic night viewing Lulin, Saturn the Auriga clusters etc with the 12" Lightbridge. I also got a wireless PC joystick for £9.99 working with EQMOD, it made the alignment a breeze being able to walk around the scope with no cable tangles.

Lulin to follow when I can decide on the best way to process it :lol:

Regards

Kevin

You have had your share of accidents Kevin, what with the tea spill, and now lapse of concentration with your CCD.:blob8:.

Not to worry, this image surely helps soften the blow.

I have not heard of these two, let alone seen them before, so it is a first for me thank you. They are well suited to their names, just as described. It is a great result framed in a nice starfield.

Ron.:lol:

Fantastic shot Kevin! What sort of focal length are we talking here?

Why does crossing the meridian matter? Does your mount normalise mid-track? My EQ6 will only normalise if you do a goto from one side of it to the other. It will track right across even if the counterweights go bum up.

Nice image Kev...

I have done soemthing similar with the setup on the megrez where I have loosened the lock screw that holds the FF III in ratehr tahn the one to rotate the camera... then spent 6 or 7 hours capturing out of focus data...

Supose the only advantage of a fork mounted scope on a wedge is you can go through the meridian with out any gymnastics....there are a load of disadvatages though :lol:

Billy...

Nice image Kevin, that Whale is one I fancy having a crack at some time.

DSS has a comet option. You have to manually pick the position of the comet for each frame, then you get three options for stacking it. I went for the one which keeps both stars and comet in 'focus'. you get a little amount of artifacts, but the end result is nice and smooth.

Tim

Fantastic shot Kevin! What sort of focal length are we talking here?

Why does crossing the meridian matter? Does your mount normalise mid-track? My EQ6 will only normalise if you do a goto from one side of it to the other. It will track right across even if the counterweights go bum up.

The scope with 0.8x FF/FR is 495mm focal length. I can carry on past the Merdian with my mount but I was planning on sleeping whilst it took the last image and didnt want to be in danger of the scope striking the mount. I have had this happen before when I fell asleep without setting my alarm properly :lol:

Thank all for your great comments too :blob8:

Regards

Kevin

The scope with 0.8x FF/FR is 495mm focal length. I can carry on past the Merdian with my mount but I was planning on sleeping whilst it took the last image and didnt want to be in danger of the scope striking the mount. I have had this happen before when I fell asleep without setting my alarm properly :lol:

Thank all for your great comments too :)

Regards

Kevin

Nice one, thanks for the explanation Kevin. I've never had my scope hit the mount yet, but there have been a few narrow squeaks, like when the 20D missed the leg by 2mm, but I watched it all the way! :blob8:

Archived