Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting to the Heart and Soul of the Matter

scarp15

Discovered by William Hershel, this complex region of emission nebulae in Cassiopeia, that combined, constitute to become the Heart and Soul are intriguing. They are embedded in a vibrant area of sky full of open clusters. A low power, wide field and a UHC / O-III filter is necessary, as are transparent dark skies and optimum observing periods such as presently with Cassiopeia culminating south by south west. Perhaps the brightest feature is classified as NGC 896, forming an aspect of the western, Heart Nebula.  

This is not a subject that I have gained particular success with within past excursions into this vicinity, yet would be good to scrutinize should (the almost improbable happen) and I get out on a dark sky trip.

Therefore it would be good to hear of observers own thoughts and experiences in obtaining these highly regarded formations, conveying how they maybe characterized from an observers perspective.

• Like 7

It is very displaced as a visual target. Gerry I know has had some success with this. Attempted again last night but wasn't expecting too much due to the moonlight (dark sky trips are no longer necessarily when the moon is not about). Reading an account on Cloudy Nights, a wide field refractor is probably better served for this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scarp15 said:

It is very displaced as a visual target. Gerry I know has had some success with this. Attempted again last night but wasn't expecting too much due to the moonlight (dark sky trips are no longer necessarily when the moon is not about). Reading an account on Cloudy Nights, a wide field refractor is probably better served for this. 

Yes I observe this a lot, it can be seen in big scopes but its easy to look "through it". Everything from the H130 through to the SW120ED (excellent for this) works well.

Its well worth the effort IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There isn't much information from an observers perspective, Cloudy Nights has featured discussions such as this one, which includes an interesting sketch. As Gerry has mentioned, smaller wide field scopes and binoculars are probably really more suited for this large low contrast object.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/653557-observing-report-ic-1805-cassiopeia-heart-nebula/

• Like 2