Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pacman - 62x300s

Wiu-Wiu

Finally a little break in the clouds - it's been overcast for over a month! So I spent some time on NGC281, hoping to catch comet Leonard in the morning. Clouds rolled in at 3 am; so I had to cover the scope, and set my alarm, but it didn't clear up again, so this is it. No Leonard for me, sadly. 

1347304624_NGC281PacmanHAOIII2021120862x300Esprit120.thumb.jpg.46e6b141b13765cd2f3654e1ae8e6416.jpg

• Like 18

Thank you,

That is a duo narrowband filter, so it pretty much comes out of the camera like this. Stacking and calibrating is done in APP, then the stack is further processed in pixinsight for stretching, levels, curves… 

44 minutes ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

Thank you,

That is a duo narrowband filter, so it pretty much comes out of the camera like this. Stacking and calibrating is done in APP, then the stack is further processed in pixinsight for stretching, levels, curves… 

Thanks, I too have an l-eXtreme so the reason for my interest. Did you use the extract Oiii and extract Ha option in APP?

@alan potts @scotty38 it is taken with the STC Astro narrowband filter. I first bought it when I only had a filter drawer, not having a mono camera, nor filterwheel at that time. It was/is the perfect solution to do some narrowband imaging from my lightpolluted garden. 

the images come out looking like this, no extracting or recombining needed.

Alan, your filter is in my visual case. It gets rotated out in the field on challenging objects. 

nowadays I do have a filter wheel, but I only have this one and my idas lightpollution filter in it. The wheel is handy to keep dust out of the system.  I shoot narrowband on nebulae and when the moon is out. The idas D1 is used on comets and pretty much everything else. On dark locations, I shoot through one of the free slots. Maybe I’ll get a mono camera in the future, and put LRGB filters in there. (But I’m still not really convinced to make that step) 

136CEA69-1BEF-4F79-A2F8-B67D3448F298.thumb.jpeg.afdadb41f7c7a3934ef4f17ab6d6e311.jpeg

Edited by Wiu-Wiu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

Thanks yes, I understand that but APP also gives you the option to extract the Ha and Oiii channels separately as part of its pre-processign so just wondered if you'd done that and then worked on the channels separately.

Thanks for the info.

I didn't even know it did that. I know there should be some kind of comet alignment possibility too, but call me lazy, I still process those in pixinsight. (it's possibly still a beta version and I don't want to lose my normal version - I am THAT good with computers lol :D 

17 hours ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

@alan potts @scotty38 it is taken with the STC Astro narrowband filter. I first bought it when I only had a filter drawer, not having a mono camera, nor filterwheel at that time. It was/is the perfect solution to do some narrowband imaging from my lightpolluted garden. 

Alan, your filter is in my visual case. It gets rotated out in the field on challenging objects. 

nowadays I do have a filter wheel, but I only have this one and my idas lightpollution filter in it. The wheel is handy to keep dust out of the system.  I shoot narrowband on nebulae and when the moon is out. The idas D1 is used on comets and pretty much everything else. On dark locations, I shoot through one of the free slots. Maybe I’ll get a mono camera in the future, and put LRGB filters in there. (But I’m still not really convinced to make that step) 

136CEA69-1BEF-4F79-A2F8-B67D3448F298.thumb.jpeg.afdadb41f7c7a3934ef4f17ab6d6e311.jpeg

Dave,

I know that filter I gave you is just classed as a visuai filter and like I said I did find it a help on a few faint objects, this has been reported by others. I don't even believe it is available now but was originally for street lamps I believe, it must be 15 years old but is a genuine Lumicon.

I have never seen this duo filter before or heard of it for that matter. The one I bought and actually sold before I paid for it using a card as I did, was an Optolong L eNhance Filter, I was not at all pleased with the results and I know one other on here that was of the same mind, still can't please everyone. Where did you buy that as I have not seen it anywhere.

Alan

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

Dave,

I know that filter I gave you is just classed as a visuai filter and like I said I did find it a help on a few faint objects, this has been reported by others. I don't even believe it is available now but was originally for street lamps I believe, it must be 15 years old but is a genuine Lumicon.

I have never seen this duo filter before or heard of it for that matter. The one I bought and actually sold before I paid for it using a card as I did, was an Optolong L eNhance Filter, I was not at all pleased with the results and I know one other on here that was of the same mind, still can't please everyone. Where did you buy that as I have not seen it anywhere.

Alan

Here's one:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/stc-astro-duo-narrowband-filter-2.html

20 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Thank you for that but I live abroad, not cheap is it.

Alan

Yep I know, I just didn't think when I posted the link 🙂

I have the Optolong L-eXtreme and so far so good. There is a halo around the brightest stars but other than that it's great and a fair bit cheaper too although not cheap as you say.

Edited by scotty38

17 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Yep I know, I just didn't think when I posted the link 🙂

I have the Optolong L-eXtreme and so far so good. There is a halo around the brightest stars but other than that it's great and a fair bit cheaper too although not cheap as you say.

Kind of you to think of me and post a link in any case. I had the Optolong LEnhace but did not like it at all, I actually sold it on before I had paid for it on my card, so a member here about 50 quid I think it was. The filter in question is much cheaper from the link that the poster highlighted for me, at a tad under 200e and in Europe, which he is himself. He actually drove all the way to me to buy my 18 inch Dob, it was nice to meet him.

Alan

• Like 1