Jump to content

NLC-Banner.thumb.jpg.acb5ba835b9e8bf0718b90539633017d.jpg

First Telescope Advice and Recommendations


Recommended Posts

Not sure where in the country you are.   There's a facebook marketplace 70mm Skywatcher BK709 in Retford for £50 at the moment.  Similar to the winner of Astrobicuit's video.  Tripod is an EQ1 which is decent and fairly sturdy compared to the cheaper offerings.  Looks a decent budget shout if close enough to you.     tinyurl.com/yckmc8z3

Brand new:  https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-capricorn-70-eq1-telescope.html

 

 

 

Edited by TerraC
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, TerraC said:

Not sure where in the country you are.   There's a facebook marketplace 70mm Skywatcher BK709 in Retford for £50 at the moment.  Similar to the winner of Astrobicuit's video.  Tripod is an EQ1 which is decent and fairly sturdy compared to the cheaper offerings.  Looks a decent budget shout if close enough to you.     tinyurl.com/yckmc8z3

Brand new:  https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-capricorn-70-eq1-telescope.html

 

 

 

The optics on my capricorn can rival more expensive scopes. As i said its likely the 12.8 focal length

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So in response to all (and thanks again)

I'm in Portsmouth so neither second hand options are close enough.

Had another look through all your notes etc and also called Rother Valley optics and I suppose here are the options:

Sky watcher heritage 100 £115 - very easy to set up, and transport - point and play! no moon filter required. Storage better in my flat when not in use.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-100p-tabletop-dobsonian.html

Skywatcher mercury 707  £99.00 so one of the cheapest ones - recommended by Rother Valley and from you guys Cheapest telescope £99.00. Said was better than the above heritage one as could see planets much more clearly but isn't this the same tripod as the 607 discussed here and in video which was concluded to be much too pants to use effectively? Rother Valley said was fine though. Said should buy a moon filter.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-mercury-707-telescope.html

Skywatcher  Astromaster 70AZ £104 on amazon £99 on picstop or £129 with smart phone adapter (which would be nice) and moon filter on FLO. Recommended here I think. What is the difference to the above explorer one? Also assuming same issue with tripod

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-astromaster-series/celestron-astromaster-70az-refractor-telescope-with-smartphone-adapter-and-moon-filter.html

Skywatcher Capricorn 70 EQ £114  - Recommended here but with EQ mount so a bit faffy and prob not best option to start even if better view? Do need quick set up due to limited viewing opportunities.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-capricorn-70-eq1-telescope.html

Celestron Powerseeker 70 AZ £83.99 or 76AZ £92.69 with free delivery - recommended by astrobiscuit (although he linked the 60 but I figured 70 was better and seemingly cheaper?) - mount useless though. Not sure what the difference is to the above ones no between the skywatchers?

https://www.picstop.co.uk/all-celestron-telescopes/celestron-powerseeker-70az-telescope.html

https://www.picstop.co.uk/all-celestron-telescopes/celestron-powerseeker-76az-newtonian-telescope.html

Skywatcher Mercury 705 £149 from FLO - recommended here due to much better AZ3 tripod/mount but Rother Valley still said they would recommended the mercury 707 over this as see planets better unless I'm getting confused? Obviously the most expensive.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-mercury-705.html

Assuming picstop okay after checking out trustpilot etc.

Sorry just trying to summarise it all in one place and ask again which of the above would you go for overall and why 😂

Many thanks again, Sarah

Edited by Saggy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Saggy said:

So in response to all (and thanks again)

I'm in Portsmouth so neither second hand options are close enough.

Had another look through all your notes etc and also called Rother Valley optics and I suppose here are the options:

Sky watcher heritage 100 £115 - very easy to set up, and transport - point and play! no moon filter required.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-100p-tabletop-dobsonian.html

Skywatcher mercury 707  £99.00 so one of the cheapest ones - recommended by Rother Valley and from you guys Cheapest telescope £99.00. Said was better than the above heritage one as could see planets much more clearly but isn't this the same tripod as the 607 discussed here and in video which was concluded to be much too pants to use effectively? Rother Valley said was fine though. Said should buy a moon filter.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-mercury-707-telescope.html

Skywatcher  Astromaster 70AZ £104 on amazon £99 on picstop or £129 with smart phone adapter (which would be nice) and moon filter on FLO. Recommended here I think. What is the difference to the above explorer one? Also assuming same issue with tripod

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-astromaster-series/celestron-astromaster-70az-refractor-telescope-with-smartphone-adapter-and-moon-filter.html

Skywatcher Capricorn 70 EQ £114  - Recommended here but with EQ mount so a bit faffy and prob not best option to start even if better view? Do need quick set up due to limited viewing opportunities.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-capricorn-70-eq1-telescope.html

Celestron Powerseeker 70 AZ £83.99 or 76AZ £92.69 with free delivery - recommended by astrobiscuit (although he linked the 60 but I figured 70 was better and seemingly cheaper?) - mount useless though. Not sure what the difference is to the above ones no between the skywatchers?

https://www.picstop.co.uk/all-celestron-telescopes/celestron-powerseeker-70az-telescope.html

https://www.picstop.co.uk/all-celestron-telescopes/celestron-powerseeker-76az-newtonian-telescope.html

Skywatcher Mercury 705 £149 from FLO - recommended here due to much better AZ3 tripod/mount but Rother Valley still said they would recommended the mercury 707 over this as see planets better unless I'm getting confused? Obviously the most expensive.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-mercury-705.html

Assuming picstop okay after checking out trustpilot etc.

Sorry just trying to summarise it all in one place and ask again which of the above would you go for and why 😂

Many thanks again, Sarah

I think you should buy from a dedicated astronomy shop the guys like picstop at the camera shops dont have any knowledge to support you after purchase if something is not right or you just need help.

I would go for a refractor as opposed to the smaller dobs / newtonian reflectors as they just dont perform so well at that end of the market and you are going to be looking at moon and planets anyhow hence long focal lenght refractor is better. So for me that discounts the heritage 100. 

The most expensive one mercury 705 is by a long way the best package  in my option, good mount and scope. Of the others the mercyry 707 is likely the best but the scope but its the mount, no slow motion controls so difficult to point and track an object with the earths rotation, looks flimsy and frankly horrible.

its difficult but i promiss you are getting your money worth for that 50 pounds more you would spend.

 

Adam

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Saggy said:

So in response to all (and thanks again)

I'm in Portsmouth so neither second hand options are close enough.

Had another look through all your notes etc and also called Rother Valley optics and I suppose here are the options:

Sky watcher heritage 100 £115 - very easy to set up, and transport - point and play! no moon filter required. Storage better in my flat when not in use.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-100p-tabletop-dobsonian.html

Skywatcher mercury 707  £99.00 so one of the cheapest ones - recommended by Rother Valley and from you guys Cheapest telescope £99.00. Said was better than the above heritage one as could see planets much more clearly but isn't this the same tripod as the 607 discussed here and in video which was concluded to be much too pants to use effectively? Rother Valley said was fine though. Said should buy a moon filter.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-mercury-707-telescope.html

Skywatcher  Astromaster 70AZ £104 on amazon £99 on picstop or £129 with smart phone adapter (which would be nice) and moon filter on FLO. Recommended here I think. What is the difference to the above explorer one? Also assuming same issue with tripod

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-astromaster-series/celestron-astromaster-70az-refractor-telescope-with-smartphone-adapter-and-moon-filter.html

Skywatcher Capricorn 70 EQ £114  - Recommended here but with EQ mount so a bit faffy and prob not best option to start even if better view? Do need quick set up due to limited viewing opportunities.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-capricorn-70-eq1-telescope.html

Celestron Powerseeker 70 AZ £83.99 or 76AZ £92.69 with free delivery - recommended by astrobiscuit (although he linked the 60 but I figured 70 was better and seemingly cheaper?) - mount useless though. Not sure what the difference is to the above ones no between the skywatchers?

https://www.picstop.co.uk/all-celestron-telescopes/celestron-powerseeker-70az-telescope.html

https://www.picstop.co.uk/all-celestron-telescopes/celestron-powerseeker-76az-newtonian-telescope.html

Skywatcher Mercury 705 £149 from FLO - recommended here due to much better AZ3 tripod/mount but Rother Valley still said they would recommended the mercury 707 over this as see planets better unless I'm getting confused? Obviously the most expensive.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-mercury-705.html

Assuming picstop okay after checking out trustpilot etc.

Sorry just trying to summarise it all in one place and ask again which of the above would you go for overall and why 😂

Many thanks again, Sarah

Also cheaper here from bristol cameras.

Am sure someone like FLO would price match if you asked them.

Adam

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm actually torn:

The Heritage 100p. 

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/reviews/telescopes/sky-watcher-heritage-100p-tabletop-dobsonian/

The most aperture per £ and assuming you travel by car, it won't take up much room. You can always pick up a used tripod later should you wish.

 

The Mercury 705.

Compact & a wide field of view so objects are easier to find. The best mounted refractor you listed. Also the most expensive by far though. It also comes with a 45° spotting diagonal ( the thing the eyepieces go in). Not ideal for astronomy so in the future you may want to purchase a 90°. Priced about £20 to £300!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys

I did check a few other review sites and have completely discounted the astromaster as these always rated much lower than even the power seeker which is cheaper. THere is even the option of the power seeker 80 for about £115.

ummm - the mercury 705 just seems so big though and it may take up a lot of space with not much use for all I know lol!! If I went to £150, is that the best option? I'm reluctant, I've already taken off the other main present from me to pay a bit more which was an ereader but to be honest I'm happier with actual books!

 

I'm not worried about aftercare I suppose. I always fix all my other appliances myself or work it out somehow if something goes wrong - have never had to call a contractor out so pretty capable - just haven't had the time at the moment to have properly researched telescopes before having to purchase one this time but there's always videos on lone of how to fix things if it's not on the obvious side. I'm sure I could learn perhaps?

 

 

 

 

Edited by Saggy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys and thanks as always

Oh I thought the 705 looked much chunkier width wise in regards to telescope and tripod as the others looked much thinner. Are the others really that much bigger than the 705? I have lots of space going upwards but less floor space for storage 😄

 

Hmm, I'm going to chew on it aa day or so. I suppose the concern is that is there any point in going up to £50 under what would be a better long term option if my daughter did really get into it as you mentioned really needing £200 for good everything.  I'm really torn between something cheaper around £100 to see if she gets the bug with a view to get something much better later and going for just a bit better at £150 but probably still not enough long term so would need to upgrade anyway although I'm assuming the tripod would suffice long term. I would definitely try and price match with FLO or rother valley regardless if need be. so they'll get the opportunity as would rather give my money to a specialist.

 

I took a look at some used - nothing on gumtree or ebay but did find these on facebook market within a few miles of me so thought I'd list them in case you thought one was such a good option I should investigate further:

 

Celestron Starsense Explorer 80 AZ  for £100 listed like new. box including inside looks pretty new and no discernible scratches/marks on the telescope.

This one  http://skywatcher.com/product/bk-p1145eq1/ £130 listed like new and box looks good. Can't see the type or price online elsewhere as only got the BKp1145eq1 number but is 114/500 and a reflector?  only thing I can see matching is SKyhawk? so perhaps not great deal!

Celestron powerseeker 127EQ £100 barely used like new. Box looks pretty new too.

Celestron Astromaster 114EQ £120 - listed good condition and extra lens

Celestron travel scope 70 with pretty much every single telescope accessary listed on FLO 😄 £100 listed like new

And this one for £100 brand new all in original packaging https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gskyer-Telescope-Aperture-Refractor-Astronomy/dp/B07JF21CFT

A load of undeterminable items, or too expensive and a zennox 76/700 for £15?

 

Apologies for all the questions, you did say I should keep asking although aware i'm likely being annoying now. Just feeling extra indecisive as none of them scream to me I'm the one lol!!

Edited by Saggy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saggy said:

Hey guys and thanks as always

Oh I thought the 705 looked much chunkier width wise in regards to telescope and tripod as the others looked much thinner. Are the others really that much bigger than the 705? I have lots of space going upwards but less floor space for storage 😄

 

Hmm, I'm going to chew on it aa day or so. I suppose the concern is that is there any point in going up to £50 under what would be a better long term option if my daughter did really get into it as you mentioned really needing £200 for good everything.  I'm really torn between something cheaper around £100 to see if she gets the bug with a view to get something much better later and going for just a bit better at £150 but probably still not enough long term so would need to upgrade anyway although I'm assuming the tripod would suffice long term. I would definitely try and price match with FLO or rother valley regardless if need be. so they'll get the opportunity as would rather give my money to a specialist.

 

I took a look at some used - nothing on gumtree or ebay but did find these on facebook market within a few miles of me so thought I'd list them in case you thought one was such a good option I should investigate further:

 

Celestron Starsense Explorer 80 AZ  for £100 listed like new. box including inside looks pretty new and no discernible scratches/marks on the telescope.

This one  http://skywatcher.com/product/bk-p1145eq1/ £130 listed like new and box looks good. Can't see the type or price online elsewhere as only got the BKp1145eq1 number but is 114/500 and a reflector?  only thing I can see matching is SKyhawk? so perhaps not great deal!

Celestron powerseeker 127EQ £100 barely used like new. Box looks pretty new too.

Celestron Astromaster 114EQ £120 - listed good condition and extra lens

Celestron travel scope 70 with pretty much every single telescope accessary listed on FLO 😄 £100 listed like new

And this one for £100 brand new all in original packaging https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gskyer-Telescope-Aperture-Refractor-Astronomy/dp/B07JF21CFT

A load of undeterminable items, or too expensive and a zennox 76/700 for £15?

 

Apologies for all the questions, you did say I should keep asking although aware i'm likely being annoying now. Just feeling extra indecisive as none of them scream to me I'm the one lol!!

I would not pay 20 pounds for the amazon one. utter rubbish.

Appart from that, I would not recommend a newtonian with a F ratio of less than 5 for planetery / lunar viewing the secondary is too big and the mirrors are cheap and poorly ground in many cases when looking at the very small apertures.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165218291382?hash=item2677c70eb6:g:67UAAOSwl~NhrRLt

If going to ebay then that is an astonishing bargain.

 

Adam

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Adam

There's a few bidding on it already mind you but will keep an eye out but don't think bidding wars are the way to go as have no idea of value 😄 . There were a couple of meades available near me but didn't think to mention as you guys seemed to suggest not to bother.

There's a never been used meade infinity 76 reflector for £70

Used only a few times Meade polaris reflecting EQ 114 for £150

meade infinity 600AZ refractor £40 - brand new

meade DS-2000 with autostar like new £60

and another Meade 90/800 DS200 refracting with autostar for £110

I will assume they are all pants ones though!

I just thought it was worth a look but prob won't bother with second hand.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If buying used astronomy kit, you must know what you are looking at, or you must trust the seller.

For example, I have seen equipment offered for sale on ebay that is obvious rubbish or damaged, at least to anyone in the know.

A couple of years back I bought a Celestron scope from Amazon Warehouse. The place where they sell customer returns and the like, fully checked before resale, etc.
There was grease inside the front lens. There was shipping damage from incorrect packing, the list went on.
Clearly nobody had inspected the customer return before offering for resale.
Fortunately it was a fairly easy 'refund please'.

Non astro people selling used scopes may be trustworthy.
But if they don't know scopes, how do they know they didn't (in ignorance) buy a lemon and are passing it on because they didn't get good views?
'Like new' and 'hardly used' do not mean it is good stuff.

I have seen more incorrectly assembled scopes offered than I can recount.
This includes scopes on display in PCWorld and the like - stick to the astro retailers.
How can the seller advise if they can't even assemble the scope? They obviously haven't used it!

At this stage, stick with new equipment from an astro retailer.
As a general rule, the astro retailer wants to see you after xmas to buy an eyepiece, or better finder, or filter, or book.
Then again later in the year for another scope, or some binos.
FLO have been around for years. I think my first purchase from them was about 2007.
RVO have been around for years. I remember talking to them in 2003 - still run (last time I checked) by the same person.
Widescreen have been around for years. Again I first spoke with them in 2003.
The department stores are interested in today.

In time, you can buy used kit from SGL classifieds. It is a trustworthy source.
I have bought quite a bit of kit from members of this site and never been ripped off.
Often handing over the money with a cursory glance if collecting, or on trust when buying for delivery.

HTH, David.


 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

If buying used astronomy kit, you must know what you are looking at, or you must trust the seller.

For example, I have seen equipment offered for sale on ebay that is obvious rubbish or damaged, at least to anyone in the know.

A couple of years back I bought a Celestron scope from Amazon Warehouse. The place where they sell customer returns and the like, fully checked before resale, etc.
There was grease inside the front lens. There was shipping damage from incorrect packing, the list went on.
Clearly nobody had inspected the customer return before offering for resale.
Fortunately it was a fairly easy 'refund please'.

Non astro people selling used scopes may be trustworthy.
But if they don't know scopes, how do they know they didn't (in ignorance) buy a lemon and are passing it on because they didn't get good views?
'Like new' and 'hardly used' do not mean it is good stuff.

I have seen more incorrectly assembled scopes offered than I can recount.
This includes scopes on display in PCWorld and the like - stick to the astro retailers.
How can the seller advise if they can't even assemble the scope? They obviously haven't used it!

At this stage, stick with new equipment from an astro retailer.
As a general rule, the astro retailer wants to see you after xmas to buy an eyepiece, or better finder, or filter, or book.
Then again later in the year for another scope, or some binos.
FLO have been around for years. I think my first purchase from them was about 2007.
RVO have been around for years. I remember talking to them in 2003 - still run (last time I checked) by the same person.
Widescreen have been around for years. Again I first spoke with them in 2003.
The department stores are interested in today.

In time, you can buy used kit from SGL classifieds. It is a trustworthy source.
I have bought quite a bit of kit from members of this site and never been ripped off.
Often handing over the money with a cursory glance if collecting, or on trust when buying for delivery.

HTH, David.


 

Well you can buy an new scope as a beginner get a lemon and not realise it. Seen plenty of that even with some quite expensive optics on here..

But I would still recommend a new 705 for this reason, as support from an astronomy retailer is invaluable as a beginner and you do get some poor examples of scopes. 

In the end of the day my main advice is to get a scope with slow motion controls on the mount, lots of the scopes that have been listed here are essentially on camera tripods and so will be horrible to use irrespective of the optics. 

Adam

 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

If buying used astronomy kit, you must know what you are looking at, or you must trust the seller.

For example, I have seen equipment offered for sale on ebay that is obvious rubbish or damaged, at least to anyone in the know.

A couple of years back I bought a Celestron scope from Amazon Warehouse. The place where they sell customer returns and the like, fully checked before resale, etc.
There was grease inside the front lens. There was shipping damage from incorrect packing, the list went on.
Clearly nobody had inspected the customer return before offering for resale.
Fortunately it was a fairly easy 'refund please'.

Non astro people selling used scopes may be trustworthy.
But if they don't know scopes, how do they know they didn't (in ignorance) buy a lemon and are passing it on because they didn't get good views?
'Like new' and 'hardly used' do not mean it is good stuff.

I have seen more incorrectly assembled scopes offered than I can recount.
This includes scopes on display in PCWorld and the like - stick to the astro retailers.
How can the seller advise if they can't even assemble the scope? They obviously haven't used it!

At this stage, stick with new equipment from an astro retailer.
As a general rule, the astro retailer wants to see you after xmas to buy an eyepiece, or better finder, or filter, or book.
Then again later in the year for another scope, or some binos.
FLO have been around for years. I think my first purchase from them was about 2007.
RVO have been around for years. I remember talking to them in 2003 - still run (last time I checked) by the same person.
Widescreen have been around for years. Again I first spoke with them in 2003.
The department stores are interested in today.

In time, you can buy used kit from SGL classifieds. It is a trustworthy source.
I have bought quite a bit of kit from members of this site and never been ripped off.
Often handing over the money with a cursory glance if collecting, or on trust when buying for delivery.

HTH, David.


 

Thanks for the info, Yes I've decided to stick to new  until at least I know what I need to be looking out for 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi it's me again 🤪

What you guys have helped get me to in a few hours over a couple of days would have taken me weeks to get to being a single mum and between work, school and everything else so I'll honestly be forever in your debt. I hope I'm not really annoying you but I was being indecisive as I really wasn't sure what I wanted I suppose but I've had time to mull it over all day at work rather than just looking and following links and I now know exactly what I want at least (I think!) so may just need a teeny bit more help 😂

So you are all correct, something not good enough will annoy me massively as I like to do things properly. However, I still need something on the budget side as I don't know if we'll ever have the time to truly go deep into the hobby as we have another time and space consuming hobby already so I'm figuring in the £100s somewhere. But it definitely needs to give us enough to enjoy over the years when we do use it and am actually really excited about the prospect of getting it out when we're camping too (so seemingly not just only for my daughter now lol).

I also realised that I do want to see a few planets well enough and I'm assuming most of them can view the moon well enough but it's the other stuff that suddenly seems more exciting and after some thought, I think that's the stuff that my daughter actually wants to see more of too like star clusters etc - not everything, just enough.  Do you call it "deep sky" stuff. From the brief things I've read or you've said, I'm assuming this means a minimum of 80mm? So does this write off the mercury 707 - I'm thinking longer and thinner is better for the planet/closer side of things as more targeted and something to do with light? 

Also I watched back the astro biscuit clips and a few other things and what the heritage 100 showed in his video was not quite good enough for me and would definitely leave me unsatisfied in regards to the planet he showed and I want my daughter to be more wow rather than fuzzy stuff. But this could possibly be because he was trying them on a planet that's harder to see and others could be seen well enough or would be better if in a darker location - not sure as obviously no experience? So is this one written off too? Or would a few cheap extras resolve this as mentioned it could be upgraded as it's still very portable and quick with no set up.

Basically I feel the right one for me is like the one he mentions first in both of his budget and other non-budget telescope recommendation videos- this also is the right size for me for now too as would like a light one that could possibly be walked with to the beach 10 minutes away as I don't drive myself (this is the last priority on the list though as I will primarily go in a car so take it as a side note). The moon was good enough, the planets were good enough and the deep space seemed satisfactory enough too. Now he says that it used to be under £100 but now £125 but not sure how long ago the video was made. I couldn't quite catch what it was other than brand (celestron) but it was described as a old school 80mm F5 refractor and classic 40 yr old design - I think this is pretty much what I want or near enough what ever form/brand it comes in. He links two which I think is what he meant? One is the skywatcher star travel 80 OTA (is this the ST80 also) but this is priced at £119 but with no tripod rather than the £125 indicated. The other is the Meade 80 adventure scope which is currently £99.

Now he states that they are made in the same factory but with different stickers so is the cheapness of the meade one in comparison because of the other parts that come with it rather than the tube bit - so tube okay to see but the rest makes it difficult? Would this option be good enough to start and perhaps upgrade a bit later - I will assume not worthwhile doing it this way. He did mention the meade infinity 80 had better tripod. I will assume this is still not the option you guys would recommend anyway.

So based on the above, does the seemingly overall preference for the skywatcher mercury 705 still stand? Does this provide me with what I would like or near enough. Or what's the best option based on what I want now I'm more precise?

If you think I should now go for 80mm instead, would it be the star travel one which the cheapest I can find is £185 with AZ3 from HarrisonTelescopes. On it's own it's £119 but I assume it will cost more to get a decent tripod if bought separately? It still seems quite a bit more than the £125 indicated by astrobiscuit so have I got the wrong scope? Or is it because of current stock levels which are low?

Or is there a better option between the meade and star travel or between the 705 and star travel 80.

I'm pretty certain this is my last complicated post as truly really nearly there - I will understand if no one responds 🤣

And to Adam - I know you mentioned something about not getting an F ratio under 5 in a newtonian but I am not quite yet at the point to really understand what this means so no idea if that has any bearing on the above but definitely don't want to have to collimate whatever on earth that means? So figure it's a refractor for me? Also know I want an AZ rather than EQ for sure- the less fiddly the better for an 11 year old.

Thanks to all again 🙂

Edited by Saggy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And so many apologies for taking so much of your time - I have a memory issue when it comes to new language which makes it very very difficult for me to remember new words, phrases, terminology and even brand names and scope types - basically anything that I've never used/said before so it takes a little while to stick in my head. If it seemed that way at all, I didn't ignore anyone, I just might not remember the phrase or particular issue/warning/advice you informed me about earlier in the thread if you used such words without constantly scrolling through the pages ☺️🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Saggy said:

And so many apologies for taking so much of your time - I have a memory issue when it comes to new language which makes it very very difficult for me to remember new words, phrases, terminology and even brand names and scope types - basically anything that I've never used/said before so it takes a little while to stick in my head. If it seemed that way at all, I didn't ignore anyone, I just might not remember the phrase or particular issue/warning/advice you informed me about earlier in the thread if you used such words without constantly scrolling through the pages ☺️🤣

I really do not want you to skint yourself more than necessary. You had a max budget. One could think, "well if I just spend a bit more..." and keeping going. Stick with the 705 AZ3 if you can stretch to £149 plus delivery costs. If you both really get into the hobby, save up for better eyepieces and a larger telescope if you really want one.There's no rush. Many members here have telescopes that size and smaller for travel or very quick sessions. It's enough to get you both going. Under darker rural skies especially, it could keep you busy for years. Afterall...

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 

😀

 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-mercury-705.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I really do not want you to skint yourself more than necessary. You had a max budget. One could think, "well if I just spend a bit more..." and keeping going. Stick with the 705 AZ3 if you can stretch to £149 plus delivery costs. If you both really get into the hobby, save up for better eyepieces and a larger telescope if you really want one.There's no rush. Many members here have telescopes that size and smaller for travel or very quick sessions. It's enough to get you both going. Under darker rural skies especially, it could keep you busy for years. Afterall...

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 

😀

 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-mercury-705.html

Hello ScouseSpaceCadet.

THank you. Haha, that's exactly why I've always largely ignored space since a child. I'm the type that likes to learn and know everything and realised at one point space involves too many unknowns and unanswerable questions so have since been fingers in ears and lalala sticking to what's on the planet! But now my daughter has set me on this path of doom 😄

I thought the one in the videos that I now want looked smaller than the 705? Is that not the case?

Honestly, I'm extremely careful where money is concerned, never manipulated into spending more, have no debt and would never get into debt for a simple Christmas present. I'm the type of person who believes in having enough funds to last quite a few months without income should the worst case scenario happen and am careful to keep it this way. Just at first I had a certain expectation having never investigated this area before and always set a budget for Christmas/birthdays as don't believe in spending frivolous amounts of money on a child or on junk just for Christmas. However, over the past few days, I've had to revise this based on knowing more about it and now I know exactly what I want.

So please don't base any recommendations on worrying about my finances as I simply can't be tempted to spend more than I can afford or more than necessary/justifiable. I just want the scope that was in the beginning of both astrobiscuits video recommendations or it's equivalent or cheapest alternative that's near enough as I'm still not positive which one he was using or whether I confused it. If you tell me the 705 can give me what he showed or pretty much near enough, then I will get this one but please do confirm this. I would rather get something that gives me near enough what I wanted so it can be used more long term than something that I would feel needed upgrading in a short while costing more overall because I'm not getting quite what I want if that makes sense (unless it was a megacheap deal alternative that would be good enough for now and easily upgraded to a level that matches easily without spending more than just getting the right level to begin with). This level I feel is the right one for me as my instincts tell me that I probably won't have the time or want to need to see much more for quite some time at least if ever and this gives me just enough to use for quite some time.

What would the difference be exactly between the 705 and an F5 80 achromatic he seems to have (is it the star travel one). If the 705 can pretty much manage the same but only in lower light polluted areas or if just a miniscule lower in capability, this is fine also as a good compromise too as it's still capable of what I want but I wasn't sure this was definite from your answer.

Thanks again, Sarah 🙂

 

Edited by Saggy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Saggy said:

Hello ScouseSpaceCadet.

THank you. Haha, that's exactly why I've always largely ignored space since a child. I'm the type that likes to learn and know everything and realised at one point space involves too many unknowns and unanswerable questions so have since been fingers in ears and lalala sticking to what's on the planet! But now my daughter has set me on this path of doom 😄

I thought the one in the videos that I now want looked smaller than the 705? Is that not the case?

Honestly, I'm extremely careful where money is concerned, never manipulated into spending more, have no debt and would never get into debt for a simple Christmas present. I'm the type of person who believes in having enough funds to last quite a few months without income should the worst case scenario happen and am careful to keep it this way. Just at first I had a certain expectation having never investigated this area before and always set a budget for Christmas/birthdays as don't believe in spending frivolous amounts of money on a child or on junk just for Christmas. However, over the past few days, I've had to revise this based on knowing more about it and now I know exactly what I want.

So please don't base any recommendations on worrying about my finances as I simply can't be tempted to spend more than I can afford or more than necessary/justifiable. I just want the scope that was in the beginning of both astrobiscuits video recommendations or it's equivalent or cheapest alternative that's near enough as I'm still not positive which one he was using or whether I confused it. If you tell me the 705 can give me what he showed or pretty much near enough, then I will get this one but please do confirm this. I would rather get something that gives me near enough what I wanted so it can be used more long term than something that I would feel needed upgrading in a short while costing more overall because I'm not getting quite what I want if that makes sense (unless it was a megacheap deal alternative that would be good enough for now and easily upgraded to a level that matches easily without spending more than just getting the right level to begin with). This level I feel is the right one for me as my instincts tell me that I probably won't have the time or want to need to see much more for quite some time at least if ever and this gives me just enough to use for quite some time.

What would the difference be exactly between the 705 and an F5 80 achromatic he seems to have (is it the star travel one). If the 705 can pretty much manage the same but only in lower light polluted areas or if just a miniscule lower in capability, this is fine also as a good compromise too as it's still capable of what I want but I wasn't sure this was definite from your answer.

Thanks again, Sarah 🙂

 

The 705 is a higher f-ratio scope and a longer focal length F7

The ST80 is F5 and so as both are acromatic refractors you will notice allot more chromatic aberation on the ST80 than the 705.

The 705 will also work better with cheaper eyepeices than the ST80.

The ST80 will be better for viewing DSOs. But in either case you will only see the brighter ones and only from a reasonably dark site.

All in all the ST80 would be the better choice for DSO but its a close call.

So thats £189 vs £149

Here is what you get for £198 and its a significant step up from either of the two above for only another £9 pounds.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-evostar-90-az3-telescope.html

The issue you have is that at the very bottom of the market small increases in expendature generate big increases in performance. At the top end its the opposite, you pay a huge amount for a tiny improvement.

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A achromatic refractor at F7 for the moon and planets will be no where near as nice as the Capricorn at F 12.8 Not even close. Like  miles  apart. Night and day worse 

If not messing about with a mount is important.  A Newtonian reflector has collimation to learn. Which is likely even worse hassle. The F7 achromatic refractor will have a wider feild of view that is better for star clusters though you will pay for this with a generally worse set of optics at these price levels

So can see why its suggested. But its performance wont be great for lunar and planetary. the planets Mars and jupiter will be well placed in the summer

If you have to get a refractor and the Capricorn is out of the question because of the mount. I would try and get a 70 or 80mm refractor at F10. What ever mount you think suits you. At a price you can find

At least you have a chance at getting sharp optics. Any short focus achromatic refractor will have lots of false colour and blur too. I wouldnt touch one with a barge poll for the moon and planets when you have better well corrected optics out there at F10. Im off thats my thoughts. Good luck with what ever you get

All photos 70mm Capricorn F12.8 Warning do not look at the sun. blindness will occur without special filters

 

 

 

fin.png

SW CAPRICORN 70MM 17TH JUNE 100.png black 2.png

jupiter 70mm. 2nd of oct.zzzz.png

 

r full.png 50.png grey.png FULL.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, neil phillips said:

A achromatic refractor at F7 for the moon and planets will be no where near as nice as the Capricorn at F 12.8 Not even close. Like  miles  apart. Night and day worse 

If not messing about with a mount is important.  A Newtonian reflector has collimation to learn. Which is likely even worse hassle. The F7 achromatic refractor will have a wider feild of view that is better for star clusters though you will pay for this with a generally worse set of optics at these price levels

So can see why its suggested. But its performance wont be great for lunar and planetary. the planets Mars and jupiter will be well placed in the summer

If you have to get a refractor and the Capricorn is out of the question because of the mount. I would try and get a 70 or 80mm refractor at F10. What ever mount you think suits you. At a price you can find

At least you have a chance at getting sharp optics. Any short focus achromatic refractor will have lots of false colour and blur too. I wouldnt touch one with a barge poll for the moon and planets when you have better well corrected optics out there at F10. Im off thats my thoughts. Good luck with what ever you get

All photos 70mm Capricorn F12.8 Warning do not look at the sun. blindness will occur without special filters

 

 

 

fin.png

SW CAPRICORN 70MM 17TH JUNE 100.png black 2.png

jupiter 70mm. 2nd of oct.zzzz.png

 

r full.png 50.png grey.png FULL.png

perhapse a link to the specific model you are suggesting?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Adam J said:

perhapse a link to the specific model you are suggesting?

He has been singing the praises of this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/sky-watcher-capricorn-70-eq1-refractor.html

1983497695_ScreenShot2021-12-12at7_20_17AM.thumb.png.725b24dc534c802787e0aa8aeb37236f.png

They say: "The Capricorn 70 is a classic looking 70mm (2.75") F/900 refractor on EQ1 mount perfect for beginners.

Please don't let it's low price mislead you, the Sky-Watcher Capricorn 70 EQ is not a department-store toy. The 70mm aperture, long focal-ratio and coated optics provide pleasing views of Jupiter and some of it's moons. Saturn with it's rings is easily identifiable and the lunar surface will show a wealth of detail. Some of the brighter deep-sky targets are also within reach including the Orion nebula, M13 Globular cluster in Hercules and the beautiful double-star Albireo. "

Neil's point is that the long focus of 900 mm gives this a focal ratio of 12.8 which makes this what many aficanados would call "a planet-killer."  It is also suitable for deep sky targets. Moreover, its longer fcous also removes much (perhaps all) chromatic aberration, typical of shorter refractors. And - allowing some discussion on this point - longer ("slower") telescopes are easier to focus sharply. Shorter ("faster") telescopes are less forgiving.

At its higher magnifications this 70-mm refractor is not going to allow all of the Pleiades or the full Moon, but at lower powers it will. That is a trade-off versus for examples a larger reflector, especially a Dobsonian 6-inch or 8-inch or beyond. The Dobsonians are price competitive because their mounts are typically inexpensive fiberboard or plywood cradles. Also, reflectors do not suffer from chromatic aberration.  It is a tautology, however, to point out that a nice as the view is in a large reflector, the telescope is big and heavy. This is small and light.

 

Edited by mikemarotta
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.