Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Smart Lights

Hi there.

Just getting into astronomy and while walking the dog this evening and observing the clear sky against the street lights I met the age old issue of "light blindness" and it got me thinking.

Going in doors during a session isn't recommend, but if like me, you have RGB smart lights, can you mitigate the effect by having them at 1% on a particular colour?

If so I assume deep red as that's what the phone apps use, don't know the science behind it though.

33 minutes ago, Thomas Burgess said:

Going in doors during a session isn't recommend, but if like me, you have RGB smart lights, can you mitigate the effect by having them at 1% on a particular colour?

If so I assume deep red as that's what the phone apps use, don't know the science behind it though.

I would think setting the lights to very dim red makes a lot of sense.

Should work  ok Thomas - you not worried what passers by might think with the house lit up with red light though (only joking) :)    Re why it works, it's just down to the happenstance of the biology of the human eye. The colour photoreceptors  of the retina are least sensitive to red light so It helps preserve night vision.   I think you have a good idea.  You could even just replace some lamps with read "bulbs" and say a smart plug  - maybe a table lamp or similar. Give them a group name then command your main lights off and your observing lamps on as you come back inside. 

Jim 

Edited by saac

35 minutes ago, Thomas Burgess said:

Our lounge has smart lighting. I can't control the colours individually, but I can set the brightness and colour temperature, so I usually leave just the one on, at min brightness and temp. I'm not convinced it saves my night vision if I come in; it's more to neuter any light that escapes around the curtains.

9 hours ago, Orange Smartie said:

I always close my "scope eye" if I have to go indoors or switch my white torch on for any reason. The difference between what I can see with my dark-adapted eye and the one I've exposed to indoor lighting is incredible.

Like this? 🤔🤣

s-l640.jpg

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/12/2021 at 17:36, Ian McCallum said:

Like this? 🤔🤣

s-l640.jpg

All joking aside that's exactly what I do! Once I've got my eyes adapted to the dark if I need to go in the flat I really do put an eyepatch on. My flatmate thinks it's hilarious. 

• Like 1

On 02/01/2022 at 18:29, Broadymike said:

All joking aside that's exactly what I do! Once I've got my eyes adapted to the dark if I need to go in the flat I really do put an eyepatch on. My flatmate thinks it's hilarious. 

Arrrgh, make 'em walk the plank, matey, for their insolence. 🏴‍☠️

• Haha 1

On 06/12/2021 at 14:49, Thomas Burgess said:

Purely red light does not cause rhodopsin to decompose, so your rods can continue being sensitive to dim light.  Ideally, you would want a far red, long pass filter on the light to prevent higher frequency light from leaking through.

I use these if I have to pop into a non-red illuminated space while observing (eg toilet at star parties!)

They are red laser enhancement goggles, used by surveyors and builders to see their levelling lasers in daylight. £11 

Screenshot 2022-01-04 at 16.08.10.png

On 03/01/2022 at 00:29, Broadymike said:

I watched an episode of Myth Busters, where they proved the validity that seamen could have actually used that technique to move between open and inner decks and maintain visual functionality.