Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Keep feet warm

23 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

My legs and body are always warm I wear a neckwarmer and a hat I also have gloves which have good grip on them. It's just my feet. 

Another thing you could try Paul is to stand on a few layers of cardboard or wood, you would be amazed at the difference it makes.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

Another thing you could try Paul is to stand on a few layers of cardboard or wood, you would be amazed at the difference it makes.

Personally, I'd avoid that unless it's well fixed down. Even then I'd be wary of slipping when it gets damp.

On 05/12/2021 at 18:32, wookie1965 said:

Just checked not got my size I'm a 7 so a 7.5 or 8 at a push but they only have 8-8.5 going to be too big even with thick socks on. 

I'm a 7 so I got the 8-8.5 and they are perfect, not loose at all...remember to make room for your socks :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know nowt about telescopes but I can help with the cold as no thyroid and always cold! Pure wool that's untreated will work far better than any man made material for heat regulation in regards to socks. I have a duvet that's pure untreated wool and it's about half an inch thick and that's all I need all year compared to the mountains of blankets I used to have to use. Keeps me toasty in the winter and cool in the summer. Best thing I ever bought!!! I think merino wool is less scratchy but you could put them on over normal thin socks. THe difficulty will be to find pure wool and untreated ones - the way the wool is processed and chemically treated takes away the properties of wool - you'd be amazed at the warmth untreated wool can bring. Will stink a little of sheep at first  goes away after a little while.

Having said that the reason I needed to invest in pure wool topper and duvet was because of my new at the time mattress with a memory foam top which was sweltering (go figure) - perhaps you could just try memory foam insoles on that basis 😄

You can also get fluffy wool insoles and boot liners too 🙂

Ps. Perhaps put some thermals under your trousers too to keep the blood warmer up to your feet too?

Edited by Saggy
  • Like 1

I had a cold feet issue when fishing through the ice on frozen lakes.  Standing on a sheet of ice for hours requires good boots of course, but I also recommend electrically heated socks.  They make a big difference in comfort.  I buy them on Amazon and a pair lasts me a couple of fishing seasons. 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2021 at 18:28, GrillBoss said:

I had a cold feet issue when fishing through the ice on frozen lakes.  Standing on a sheet of ice for hours requires good boots of course, but I also recommend electrically heated socks.  They make a big difference in comfort.  I buy them on Amazon and a pair lasts me a couple of fishing seasons. 

How do you plug them in? A very long extension cord? Or a portable generator on a sled?

¨

Was just about to post then the following then saw that @Mr Spock nailed it!

Many people don't realise how much heat is lost through conductivity when standing still.

Good insulation (which can be as a simple as cardboard) between you and the ground will make a world of difference. A good rubber mat or old carpet will work. 

Particularly worth mentioning to people on market stalls this time of year too!

Hope you succeed with warm tootsies @wookie1965!

All the best,

T

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Xgaze said:

Was just about to post then the following then saw that @Mr Spock nailed it!

Many people don't realise how much heat is lost through conductivity when standing still.

Good insulation (which can be as a simple as cardboard) between you and the ground will make a world of difference. A good rubber mat or old carpet will work. 

Particularly worth mentioning to people on market stalls this time of year too!

Hope you succeed with warm tootsies @wookie1965!

All the best,

T

When observing on grass I tend to use a camping ground sheet... That does make a difference. To be honest I've not thought to try it on my concrete garden observing area... 🙄

Good thread. Going to buy some new boots this week but what about hands? I bought some north face gloves recently but they’rea bit of a let down. Was going to try a runners type glove underneath or maybe just buy a new pair, any recommendations? Probably try a usb harm warmer too.

• Like 1

Not only in the North ..... Here it rained from the end of October to the beginning of December, then at least a week of sun during which I resumed the observations of our star, then since yesterday it rains again ........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Whoa! are you observing from the far side of the moon? 😂

Nah, just my yard :D its -24c right now as the sun is rising and we have a couple of weeks of sub -20c happening.

How about this- you bring your boots and I'll wear mine and we'll observe in the middle of January- maybe meet in Quetico to observe?:grin: It should be -30c or a bit less by then.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stardaze said:

Good thread. Going to buy some new boots this week but what about hands? I bought some north face gloves recently but they’rea bit of a let down. Was going to try a runners type glove underneath or maybe just buy a new pair, any recommendations? Probably try a usb harm warmer too.

I have a pair of "Heat Holders" fingerless gloves and they are extremely effective. You retain more than enough dexterity to handle EPs etc., and they keep your hands warm enough that the tips of your fingers don't really feel cold at all, except when directly touching tripod legs etc! Have used them for sessions when it's been -5 and they were great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

Nah, just my yard :D its -24c right now as the sun is rising and we have a couple of weeks of sub -20c happening.

How about this- you bring your boots and I'll wear mine and we'll observe in the middle of January- maybe meet in Quetico to observe?:grin: It should be -30c or a bit less by then.

I’m such a wuss! That sounds insane Jerry 😂

• Like 1