Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Keep feet warm

Just now, johninderby said:

I had to get rid of my cold weather gear when I moved back to the UK. You would overheat wearing it in even the coldest weather in the UK.

We have 3 days of -25c or so starting tonight which actually feels good, we love winter. With the mentioned boots standing for hours ice fishing is no big deal and we fish in -30c a lot of the time for lake trout.

IMHO its a myth that boots cant keep you very warm when standing for hours- its not the socks its the boots. With these boots you can go out no socks...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Remember once when it was -40C and with windchill -70C. Did feel a bit chilly then. 😁😁😁

Gotta love it lol!

Tomorrow the wind chill is forecast to be -33c to -37c depending on how this storm goes, Thunder Bay has a weather warning but we are outside it. My bay might completely freeze tonight, one of the last to freeze on Rainy. The sled is all ready to go, cant wait.

• Like 3

I remember when Thunder Bay was just Port Arthur and Fort William. 🙂

Proper winter snowy weather can be a lot of fun if you have the right clothing. My favourite was walking through a pine forest when it was snowing and with heavy snow on all the trees. Incredibly peaceful and quiet. Good for the soul. 🙂🙂🙂

You can actually fairly accurately judge the temp by the sound your boots make. Wether they crunch or squeek etc. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, callisto said:

I have just received these cheap and cheerful snow boots after a recommendation from a fellow SGL member...thought I'd give them a go for the price and honestly, they are fantastic, they really are :thumbsup:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-warm-waterproof-snow-hiking-boots-sh100-x-warm/_/R-p-108105?mc=8344304

Mark

After reading the last 'cold feet' thread I meant to buy a pair but forgot... Just ordered. 👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Thanks. Even better, they're free. The father in law is buying them for a Chrimbo pressie. He normally gives me £20. He best cough up the difference! 

I remember the days when my father in law would pay £20 to get me out of the house on a cold night. 

• Haha 4

Cheapest solution possible, heat packets, just slip one into boot toe nice and flat and carefully slip toes over them. You won’t be doing much walking on a session so no worries about how they feel when walking, they’ll keep your feet toasty for hours. There’s hand and toe versions and can be found in sets of a few unlike the full box pictured here. I’ve used the toe version, just stick on bottom of sock and be done, I’ve even had to remove feet from boot occasionally as they can be quite warm.

2DE22977-71BF-4153-93C3-D0C437038080.png

227972A2-7EF2-4189-8EF1-C679926402E2.png

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2

On another note, I find that tucking a hot water bottle behind my knees when sitting warms the blood flow to my feet and entire body, keeping me warm for the usual hour or two while observing.  If I'm standing, the bottle goes into the large front pocket of a hoodie under my fleece.

PICT0010 (Medium).JPG

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, L8-Nite said:

On another note, I find that tucking a hot water bottle behind my knees when sitting warms the blood flow to my feet and entire body, keeping me warm for the usual hour or two while observing.  If I'm standing, the bottle goes into the large front pocket of a hoodie under my fleece.

PICT0010 (Medium).JPG

My legs and body are always warm I wear a neckwarmer and a hat I also have gloves which have good grip on them. It's just my feet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Cheapest solution possible, heat packets, just slip one into boot toe nice and flat and carefully slip toes over them. You won’t be doing much walking on a session so no worries about how they feel when walking, they’ll keep your feet toasty for hours. There’s hand and toe versions and can be found in sets of a few unlike the full box pictured here. I’ve used the toe version, just stick on bottom of sock and be done, I’ve even had to remove feet from boot occasionally as they can be quite warm.

2DE22977-71BF-4153-93C3-D0C437038080.png

227972A2-7EF2-4189-8EF1-C679926402E2.png

Tesco were selling these last week at a discount.

But the big A (UK) sells 5 pairs for £3.20!

• Like 1