SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

cleaning with air can

iwols

13 minutes ago, iwols said:

Hi just wondered if it was ok to use the compressed air cans for cleaning optics/ccd,i know you can buy rocket cleaners but is compressed air better/ok thanks

As John say's deffo NO!

Β 

Mark

• Like 3

If you really must clean your optics, use Baader optical wonder fluid. But be careful.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/baader-optical-wonder-set-cleaning-fluid-and-cloth.html

I'm not sure about a CCD. I wouldn't recommend going near one to clean it.

Speak to your local camera store and let them do it if necessary. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

Just now, Space Hopper said:

If you really must clean your optics, use Baader optical wonder fluid. But be careful, and try with a rocket blower bulb first to remove any bits of dirt / dust etc

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/baader-optical-wonder-set-cleaning-fluid-and-cloth.html

Speak to your local camera store and let them do it if necessary. Better to be safe than sorry.

And definitely don't use compressed air as it will leave a stain on your optics and potentially damage the coatings.

Β 

• Like 1

I have a different opinion. We use canned air when cleaning optics at work. There are a couple of things you need to take care of though. There's a big difference in the quality between different brands, particularly in propellant discharge. Always keep the can upright. Start the air discharging while pointing away from the glass and then pass the stream over it and off the other side. Then stop and repeat if necessary. It's a bit like the technique for paint spraying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Space Hopper said:

If you really must clean your optics, use Baader optical wonder fluid. But be careful.

When seriously dirty I clean my ZWO cameras (ASI1600MM, ASI174MM, ASI 290MC) using Baader fluid and that works like a charm, no harm done. Spray it on a micro-fiber cloth and use that to wipe the chip. But I only do it when really dirty (over time they tend to get deposits of the grease that is used to seal the cameras). For normal cleaning I recommend one of those power blowers as John suggested.

NicolΓ s

• Like 1