Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Omni 2x Barlow lens vs Baader 2.25x Q Barlow lens

Hi all

I have a Skywatcher Heritage 150P and am looking to get a barlow to go with it and the 2 stock eyepieces (10 and 25mm). I am considering either the Celestron Omni 2x or the Baader 2.25x Q but I'm not sure which would be best. Both are about the same price and seem to be decent barlows at their price point.

Question

Which of these barlows would be best for me to get or should I be looking at something different?

Thanks

I have the Omni 2x and cant really fault it. The construction is a bit simple but i don't think it needs to be all that fancy, it does the job just fine. I have another, slightly better "apochromatic construction" barlow (2,5x) but honestly im not sure i can see the difference. Simple construction = low weight so might actually be preferable for the 150p heritage. The 2x is also good magnification wise, i don't think you would benefit from the greater power of the Baader 2.25x. The 10mm in the barlow will get you 150x, which is probably enough for the small dob. Remember that as magnification increases, you also increase vibrations and other wobbles in the mechanics of the telescope itself so you probably don't want to overdo magnification.

And welcome to SGL!

43 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I have the Omni 2x and cant really fault it. The construction is a bit simple but i don't think it needs to be all that fancy, it does the job just fine. I have another, slightly better "apochromatic construction" barlow (2,5x) but honestly im not sure i can see the difference. Simple construction = low weight so might actually be preferable for the 150p heritage. The 2x is also good magnification wise, i don't think you would benefit from the greater power of the Baader 2.25x. The 10mm in the barlow will get you 150x, which is probably enough for the small dob. Remember that as magnification increases, you also increase vibrations and other wobbles in the mechanics of the telescope itself so you probably don't want to overdo magnification.

And welcome to SGL!

Ok thanks a lot.