Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polaris and City Latitude

Hello All,

I am absolute beginner in Astronomy and just bought a telescope with Eq mount. I have gone through some YouTube videos trying to setup the mount. 

One thing is to do is Polar Align. Now its says you set the latitude of your city and polaris will be near by that angle but in my case the latitude is around 51.5 I m in UK, Swindon but when i check the polaris star and adjust the angle it goes to 32 round about so my question is: Is that normal or Iam doing it completely wrong. I can confrim that iam pointing it to polaris confirmed both visually and via Sky Map app.

Please help. Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Abhi178 said:

Hi ..its Equatorial Mount

Yes, we got that. But which one? There are scores of different equatorial mount models. A photo of yours might help us help you.

But if the mount axis is pointing at Polaris, you may have solved your problem.

If you are using the telescope visually, the adjustment is not critical anyway.

Once the tripod is leveled (roughly at least), you have to adjust the red angle with the green bolt:

image.png.8b58a837be0fff6dcb2c55fb3c3b6607.png

But as mentioned above, if it is for visual observing, just set the 51deg angle and point the RA axis roughly to the geographic north. For GOTO mounts, the polar alignment and star alignment must be done more carefully.

HTH

• Like 1

Place the tripod on the ground with the leg marked N pointing north.
Adjust the leg lengths so the the top is level.
Some tripods (and mount bases) have a small bubble level built in to assist.

Next (most mounts) adjust the latitude push/pull bolts to near enough 51/52 degrees.
In your case you only have a push bolt and then clamp.
You can use the graduations on the mount. Or an electronic angle gauge.

The mount is now aligned for your location.
Near enough by eye is quite good enough for visual use so don't worry about an angle gauge.

Don't forget that once the latitude is set, it is correct for every time out.
Unless you travel a long way north or south. Like France or Newcastle.

Note that nothing in the above needs a clear sky or it to be dark.
If you have a favourite location (on a patio for example) just put chalk marks on the paving for the tripod feet.
Some people make more permanent locating marks. But for now chalk is OK.

Keep asking the questions,

David.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Abhi178 said:

Thank you  I have done as specified and then further adjusted visually the difference between city latitude 52 and visual 32 is high, so the question it is normal or you always find polaris near to city latitude?

Difference suggests that you are doing something wrong and it offsets by 90° as 52°+32° is pretty close to 90°. Remaining few degrees could be because mount is not level.

Do you point to Polaris like this:

image.png.98a7760934b19c847f1237ce67515628.png

Or like this:

image.png.fd243413b5f57f5e53f15c39bd8804a3.png

First one is correct, second one will make altitude dial show (90° - latitude) so close to ~38° if you are at 52°

• Like 2

As vlaiv has suggested, think you're having the same problem I had with the skywatcher equatorial wedge, latitude of the wedge was adjusted to location and it was way off, the actual setting was 90 degrees minus location latitude and further confirmed with a digital inclinometer.