SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Night vision from light polluted London

GavStar

One of the key reasons that I bought my first night visio monocular was to observe DSOs from my London back garden (sqm 18). A few years ago, Jupiter and Saturn were low in the sky at opposition and so DSOs were a key part of my observation targets.

It quickly became clear that although night vision was good from light polluted skies it is even better from darks skies like those in the Isle of Wight that I visit on an infrequent basis (sqm 21).

Over time, I’ve aimed to improve the views I get from my London back garden. My latest kit test was last night with my little fsq85. Some great nebula objects in the sky and I’m really pleased with the views I can get from London of these wonderful DSOs. Now just to get to those dark skies on a more regular basis…😀 It’s a lot of fun to see the horsehead so clearly with my little refractor from London back garden as shown by the phone pic below.

83AE22A8-7839-4BE9-8C30-432AAE7679BA.jpeg

CFFFAADE-8D9B-4970-A0A7-E46DD347F427.jpeg

58493FA1-69AE-4B0B-80BE-794B367BED7B.jpeg

3B6A2FC7-4EE2-47B5-9280-006C379912D7.jpeg

0396EE8D-0A75-4F1F-8F27-14E2742F239B.jpeg

• Like 11

These are incredible shots from London Gavin. Can’t imagine they could get much better with current technology.

For newcomers to night vision, with extreme filtration for light polluted environments (from Chroma 3nm Ha filters), only the very best NV systems can pick up such detail and clarity, particularly with only a small refractor. Still lots to enjoy with less sophisticated systems, but for example, with my (very decent) FOM2150 Photonis 4G tube, the pictured objects are still ‘faint fuzzies’ observed from my Bortle 8-9 skies. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Highburymark said:

These are incredible shots from London Gavin. Can’t imagine they could get much better with current technology.

For newcomers to night vision, with extreme filtration for light polluted environments (from Chroma 3nm Ha filters), only the very best NV systems can pick up such detail and clarity, particularly with only a small refractor. Still lots to enjoy with less sophisticated systems, but for example, with my (very decent) FOM2150 Photonis 4G tube, the pictured objects are still ‘faint fuzzies’ observed from my Bortle 8-9 skies. 

Yes that’s a good point Mark. 

Wow! Those are really impressive phone images, totally on a par with multiple subs, guided imaging. Trouble is I would need to sell a hefty chunk of my imaging set up to buy one.

Now if only they hit the economies of scale that GPS went through…

• Thanks 1

There is a very reasonably priced unit in the for sale forum. You could sell the odd body part that you don’t absolutely need 😉 

GPS hasn’t really changed hugely, mostly the receivers(?), it’s been in operation something kg like 40years or more. Gen3 NV is nearing 30yrs old. 
can’t see the prices dropping… though thermal tech continues to drop in price the way that much other tech does.

Peter

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

There is a very reasonably priced unit in the for sale forum. You could sell the odd body part that you don’t absolutely need 😉 

Yes, I saw that, a really good deal but I think it’s sold already. Also I’ve just spent my latest funds allocation on another IMX571 camera.