SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Red Light Head Torch for Astronomy

I use a small hand torch with a red light for astronomy.

It's broken so I'd like to buy a new head torch with a red light. I've noticed that some head torches only have one red LED and the rest are white, so the major source of light is white rather than red. I haven't been able to find a head torch with only red LEDs.

Please can I have your advice on what to buy?

15 minutes ago, keora said:

I use a small hand torch with a red light for astronomy.

It's broken so I'd like to buy a new head torch with a red light. I've noticed that some head torches only have one red LED and the rest are white, so the major source of light is white rather than red. I haven't been able to find a head torch with only red LEDs.

Please can I have your advice on what to buy?

I've used Petzl torches for years mainly for fishing...I haven't came across one with red light only but this one here is to 'preserve' night vision (RGB) light,

https://www.millets.co.uk/15997661/petzl-tactikka-rgb-head-torch-15997661

Mark

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/fenix-HM61R-Rechargeable-Magnetic-Headlamp/dp/B082DGTZVG/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=fenix+head+torch+hm61&qid=1638488003&sr=8-12

Impossible to break, rechargeable battery that never seems to run out and has a very low 1 lumen red light mode for astronomy that lasts 400 hours on one charge.

This works well for me and cheap too compared to many. .  It remembers the redlight setting as well when you turn it off, so no surprises. AND for that price you actually get 2 of them.. bargain and has lasted well for the 6 months I have had it. They even supply batteries.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZWK5QKM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edited by Starslayer

11 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I use this one too. It’s been great. So much so that I bought another for my daughter or for guests. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Plus 1 for this head torch I also have it and is brilliant. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Plus 1 for this head torch I also have it and is brilliant. 

The white is also not super bright but enough to navigate around a camp site just fine. So many people (usually young blokes) have crazy 1000000 lumen torches that blind you from 100 metres. You're not up the Himalayas people, there's no need!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The white is also not super bright but enough to navigate around a camp site just fine. So many people (usually young blokes) have crazy 1000000 lumen torches that blind you from 100 metres. You're not up the Himalayas people, there's no need!

I think mine has a red constant and red flashing and then on the white 2 brightness levels and 1 flashing. Perfect for my needs and the aaa batteries last ages. The angle adjustment is great too. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

Thank you, I appreciate all your comments.

Canon Image Stabiliser binoculars 10X32. Celestron Explorascope 114AZ Newtonian Reflector Telescope, Aperture 114mm, Focal Length 1000mm, Focal Ratio f/9, Star Pointer red dot finderscope. Original eyepieces replaced with 32mm and 9 mm skywatcher Plossls.

• Like 1