SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Suitable telescopes for a Young Astronomers Club

My Astronomical Society has a burgeoning Young Astronomers group and we are considering buying some appropriate equipment for them. We already have some low cost binoculars (the obvious first choice) and we have some cash to move up a step.  

The requirements for kids are not the same as for adult beginners so it would be good to hear opinions from SGL who have made good (and bad) purchases for younger members. 

I'd always recommend a Dobsonian for an adult starter, simply because you get so much bang per buck and the value for money is obvious, once you have your first look at, say the Pliades through a 150mm reflector.  But a Dob is hard to drive and needs concentration and the control to keep it where you want it to be. The table-top Dobsonians have advantages but, where we would be observing, there are no firm tables.

What do you think?

Depends on how young is young? Also what is the budget?

I'm thinking no cool down time and quick setup are important.

A short tube refractor on alt-az. Along with a heavy (trip/kick resisting) tripod or pillar.

This will give more magnification than binos but not so much that a tracking mount becomes important.

Other alternatives are of course possible.

• Like 1