Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear skies with a new filter

Kon

I recently purchased an Hb filter (ES) from a fellow SGL member @PeterW. I started with the Pleiades just to get my hand with it and surprisingly it was allowing for some nebulosity to come through. California nebula was my next target. I got in the area and I was surprised by the size of it. I had to move the Dob around to get the edges of it. No distinct features but just a 'block' of nebulosity. By then Orion was in the right place. I started without any filter. The M42 looked great. I could see some pinkinsh colour around the trapezium area as before whereas the trapezium was surrounded by a hue of green. The wings were nicely showing with distinct features, but no colour this time as my previous observation. I then popped the new filter and a new 'world' came through. The filter tamed the brightness of the trapezium and revealed nebulosity across the two wings rather than showing 'empty space or very very weak nebulosity without one'. The nebulosity made me realise that it extends much more than what I had seen before; it reminded me of the astro photos but in black and white. I thought since seeing is good to try for the horse's head 🐴. The filter nicely tamed the brightness of Altinak. I could see more nebulosity around it than without any filter; it has always been a bit of bluish hazy brightness. I panned around for the Horsehead nebula but I just could not see anything. I could not see much nebula either in the area. Is an 8" Dob not up to the job? Or do bortle 3/4 skies not ideal?

I finished my session by looking at some clusters (no filter). The Persei double cluster looked awesome with all the stars and colours there. I spent a bit of time jsut being mesmerised. I had a look at NGC957 and NGC744 as well with nice resolved stars.

Overall an excellent night and very pleased with the new purchase. looking forward to come up with more targets ofr the new filter.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Dave scutt said:

I still don't see any colour when I look at Orion but I've only seen it twice maybe (if) I get clear skies I'll keep checking.

Most of the time it is greyish/green. I noticed frosty nights or after rain the seeing hugely improves and that's when i noticed the bit of colour (again it is a greyish/pink rather than screening in your eyes colour).

• Like 1

Nice report !

Apart from the Horsehead, I've not had much success with my Astronomik Hb filter. I must try a bit harder with it.

With regards to the Horsehead, I've only just managed to see it a couple of times with my 12 inch dob on the very darkest nights I ever get here. It is probably the hardest and least distinct DSO that I have ever observed. Here is my report when I 1st managed it:

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, John said:

With regards to the Horsehead, I've only just managed to see it a couple of times with my 12 inch dob on the very darkest nights I ever get here. It is probably the hardest and least distinct DSO that I have ever observed. Here is my report when I 1st managed it:

Thanks John. I just read your report, fantastic!!,  and I need to try some of your tricks there; although, I am not sure if the 8" Dob will be up for it. I could barely see the flame nebula with my filter so maybe more light gathering is needed? I also noted that your report is over 4 years old without further references 😟...... but good things come to those who wait 😃.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kon said:

I started with the Pleiades just to get my hand with it and surprisingly it was allowing for some nebulosity to come through

This is surprising as this is a reflection nebula. Ive had zero luck with filters on it but do see much without.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, jetstream said:

This is surprising as this is a reflection nebula. Ive had zero luck with filters on it but do see much without.

It was appearing as a very tight soft glow around them than diffuse nebulosity in APs. Without filters it is a bit more prominent. Pleiades do emit at Ha/b from what i have read.

2 hours ago, Kon said:

.... I also noted that your report is over 4 years old without further references 😟...... but good things come to those who wait 😃.

I hope so but the skies do have to be exceptional here to give me a chance. I've glimpsed it a couple of times since then but only a couple.

I love Jeremy Perez's description of this target :icon_biggrin::

" Really, it's like trying to see a little bit of nothing with a little bit of less than nothing resting over it "

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Epick CromJoe, I am sure you have been a good boy for 🎅 to bring some presents 😉. I found that filters is one thing, but patience and managing expectations are also very important. I personally find that the longer I am doing this hobby, the more details seem to pop.

@PeterWcheers for the link (I remember you had it in your sales section that triggered me to buy it).

I wonder if there is a filter that can filter out clouds 🤣