Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meridian Flip "issue"?

scotty38

Hi all,

I was trying out GS Server with my AZ-EQ6 and NINA last night on IC1396 and all was well until my scope hit the mount. I had the limits set but what I didn't know about was the option to tell it what to do at the limit so I had it set to "do nothing". If I'd had it set to "Park" I guess  that would have happened and prevented the hit.

All that aside my question is how do I get round it for this target that, in theory, I could track for 360 degrees? From a terrestrial point of view my scope was on the West side pointing pretty near the Zenith but I have since found out that NINA won't flip if the Meridian is crossed to the "North" of the pole which is what seems to have happened to me. This might have a terribly simple answer but how do I image this target and ensure I stay on the "correct" side of the mount. If I issue the slew command it'll go to where it was last night but how do I get it to go to the East side instead? I'm sure I'm missing something really, really obvious but never having done this before I'm not getting my head round it.

Edit _ I said "South of the pole" initially but of course I meant North.....

Edited by scotty38

I think I may have found my answer. North side flips are supported now BUT I am running the  beta version and although I have the flip settings configured the flip "enabled/disabled" has gone and is now part of the sequence itself and I had not "enabled" it there. Will try again when it's clear......

5 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

If your limits had been set on the mount surely that's a priority over NINA.. pretty certain you can't set the limits in NINA?

I had the limits set in GS Server but on hitting the limits it was also set to "do nothing" as I was not aware of that setting. Also I had not realised that "enable/disable" Meridian Flip had move to the sequencer in the Beta versions of Nina so I'd missed that too.  Which takes precedence I have not tested yet though but yes I only see limits set in GS Server or EQMOD if used.

4 hours ago, scotty38 said:

I had the limits set in GS Server but on hitting the limits it was also set to "do nothing" as I was not aware of that setting. Also I had not realised that "enable/disable" Meridian Flip had move to the sequencer in the Beta versions of Nina so I'd missed that too.  Which takes precedence I have not tested yet though but yes I only see limits set in GS Server or EQMOD if used.

Ok thanks for the heads up, I'm going to give NINA another go, especially with this new sequencer

Just for info I'm going back to EQMOD. It's probably me but in daytime testing with CdC I just could not get GS Server to behave properly and not potentially crash the mount. With EQMOD the limits worked fine and using auto-flip worked fine too.

As an example, picking two objects either side of the Meridian, EQMOD would flip each time I chose one or the other but GS Server flipped on some object "pairs" but not on others so I gave up with it....